McKamy Springs, Richardson, Texas

Description:

Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name."

The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Dallas County - Richardson
Creation Date: 1920 - 1930  
Partner(s):
Richardson Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 1,512
Past 30 days: 25
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1920 - 1930
  • Digitized: June 24, 2003
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Dallas County - Richardson
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
From 1920 to 1930
Description:

Natural spring, with a stone and concrete structure built around and over it. A half-dome stone-trimmed 'grotto' covers the spring. A man-made canal channels the visible water. A plaque is set into a stone/cement low monument inside the canal. It reads: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name."

The spring is located within a 2 acre park, called McKamy Spring Park, in south-east Richardson. Native people last known to have camped at the spring were of a Caddoan-speaking tribe. The Bowser family once owned the property, and then T. F. McKamy (1925-1927). Part of the old stagecoach route extending from Breckenridge ran near this site as well.

Note:

The marker placed at the spring by Mayor McKamy reads as follows: "The Yoiuane tribe of the Caddo group of Indians lived here as early as 1690 to 1840. They hunted buffalo and deer on the prairie. They used McKamy Spring as a watering place. It was from these friendly Tejas Indians that Texas got her name."

The library owns a negative of the photograph.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Richardson Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: RPLv001
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: Folder V 1
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth3076
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public