W. L. Smith Store

Description:

W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Dallas County - Irving
Creation Date: c. 1904  
Partner(s):
Irving Archives
Collection(s):
O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 72
Past 30 days: 7
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: c. 1904
  • Digitized: May 31, 2005
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Dallas County - Irving
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Date
c. 1904  
Description:

W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : sepia ; 3.5 x 5 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Irving Archives
Collection:
O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 7-56
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth3253
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public