The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

Description:

A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd.

The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Dallas County - Irving
Creation Date: c. 1931  
Partner(s):
Irving Archives
Collection(s):
O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 91
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: c. 1931
  • Digitized: May 31, 2005
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Dallas County - Irving
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Date
c. 1931  
Description:

A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd.

The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : sepia ; 3.5 x 5 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Irving Archives
Collection:
O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 7-41
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth3267
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public