First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Description:

First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Dallas County - Irving
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Irving Archives
Collection(s):
O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 185
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: May 31, 2005
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Dallas County - Irving
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Description:

First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 3.5 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Irving Archives
Collection:
O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 7-15
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth3290
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public