[Lake Mineral Wells]

Description:

This photograph shows the Civic League Island at Lake Mineral Wells, four miles east of Mineral Wells, Texas, with a rustic bridge connecting the two small islands, picnic tables, and grilles. In the foreground, there are two small boats with canopies, carrying passengers on the water of the lake. A forested shoreline is visible in the background of the image.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Parker County
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Boyce Ditto Public Library
Collection(s):
A. F. Weaver Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 99
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: June 2, 2008
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Parker County
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

This photograph shows the Civic League Island at Lake Mineral Wells, four miles east of Mineral Wells, Texas, with a rustic bridge connecting the two small islands, picnic tables, and grilles. In the foreground, there are two small boats with canopies, carrying passengers on the water of the lake. A forested shoreline is visible in the background of the image.

Note:

Historical note: The islands could originally only be reached by boat, but later a foot bridge was built from the islands to the dam. When the concrete dam was raised during World War II, the island was covered with water and has remained covered since. Lake Mineral Wells got its name from a Joint Committee of nine members from three clubs: Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Women's Clubs, the Rotary Club on November 1, 1919. It was named Lake Mineral Wells despite the fact that the body of water was located in another [Parker] county.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): Lake Mineral Wells
Partner:
Boyce Ditto Public Library
Collection:
A. F. Weaver Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: AWO_1954P
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth39230
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public