Historic plaque - Fannin County Courthouses

Description:

Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Fannin County Courthouses. Commissioners' Court first met at Jacob Black's cabin on Feb. 26, 1836, before Fannin County was officially organized. In 1838 Warren (near present Ambrose in Grayson County) was named the county seat. The courthouse built there in 1840 was a two-story oak and cedar structure with rough plank floors. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Bois D'Arc, town's name was changed to Bonham, for an Alamo hero, the next year. Judge John P. Simpson donated land for the small log courthouse of 1843. Later another cabin was built with a breezeway connecting the two. In this early courthouse jurors sat above the courtroom in a loft that could be reached only by an outside ladder. This log building served until 1881 when a two-story brick structure was erected at the same location. This was replaced in 1888 by a three-story courthouse made of native stone from Gober, south of Bonham, and built by Scottish-born stonemasons Kane and Cormack. Fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple, and the building was remodeled. Using part of the 1888 structure, this courthouse was constructed in 1965-6 with a facade of Leuders stone. It was dedicated by Governor John Connally. (1974)"

Creator(s): Belden, Dreanna L.
Location(s): United States - Texas - Fannin County - Bonham
Creation Date: October 10, 2005
Partner(s):
UNT Libraries
Collection(s):
Photographing Texas
Usage:
Total Uses: 54
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: October 10, 2005
  • Digitized: November 10, 2005
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Fannin County - Bonham
Coordinates
33.5791590133, -96.1781137802
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
October 10, 2005
Description:

Photograph of a historic marker. It reads: "Fannin County Courthouses. Commissioners' Court first met at Jacob Black's cabin on Feb. 26, 1836, before Fannin County was officially organized. In 1838 Warren (near present Ambrose in Grayson County) was named the county seat. The courthouse built there in 1840 was a two-story oak and cedar structure with rough plank floors. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Bois D'Arc, town's name was changed to Bonham, for an Alamo hero, the next year. Judge John P. Simpson donated land for the small log courthouse of 1843. Later another cabin was built with a breezeway connecting the two. In this early courthouse jurors sat above the courtroom in a loft that could be reached only by an outside ladder. This log building served until 1881 when a two-story brick structure was erected at the same location. This was replaced in 1888 by a three-story courthouse made of native stone from Gober, south of Bonham, and built by Scottish-born stonemasons Kane and Cormack. Fire in 1929 destroyed the clock steeple, and the building was remodeled. Using part of the 1888 structure, this courthouse was constructed in 1965-6 with a facade of Leuders stone. It was dedicated by Governor John Connally. (1974)"

Physical Description:

1 photograph : col.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
UNT Libraries
Collection:
Photographing Texas
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: dscn1493
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth6692
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
33.5791590133, -96.1781137802
Historic plaque - Fannin County Courthouses

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls