McClanahan House

Description:

Photograph of the two story McClanahan house located on 206 East Corpus Christi Street. The McClanahan House is the oldest business structure in Beeville. The building, the second store built in Beeville by George W. McClanahan, was erected around 1867 on the east side of the courthouse square, near Poesta Creek. The house served as general store, lodging house, and post office. It was built in the pioneer western style, with southern porches. McClanahan was Beeville’s first merchant; he was among the first to buy auctioned lots in the newly formed town of Beeville in 1859. McClanahan also served as schoolteacher, postmaster, county clerk, innkeeper, and Sunday school superintendent. After McClanahan’s death, L.F. Roberts purchased and operated the store for many years. In 1962, the building was purchased by the Historical Society for $600, and moved to its present site. The building is still the “home” of the society, and meetings are held there periodically.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Bee County - Beeville
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Bee County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Usage:
Total Uses: 131
Past 30 days: 4
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Bee County - Beeville
Description:

Photograph of the two story McClanahan house located on 206 East Corpus Christi Street. The McClanahan House is the oldest business structure in Beeville. The building, the second store built in Beeville by George W. McClanahan, was erected around 1867 on the east side of the courthouse square, near Poesta Creek. The house served as general store, lodging house, and post office. It was built in the pioneer western style, with southern porches. McClanahan was Beeville’s first merchant; he was among the first to buy auctioned lots in the newly formed town of Beeville in 1859. McClanahan also served as schoolteacher, postmaster, county clerk, innkeeper, and Sunday school superintendent. After McClanahan’s death, L.F. Roberts purchased and operated the store for many years. In 1962, the building was purchased by the Historical Society for $600, and moved to its present site. The building is still the “home” of the society, and meetings are held there periodically.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): McClanahan House
Partner:
Bee County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: BEHC_b001-010
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth78693
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image