The Westside School for Mexican Americans Historical Marker

Description:

Photograph of the historical marker dedicated to the West Side School for Mexican Americans. The West Side School for Mexican Americans, also known as Jackson School, was built in the early 1900’s. A two-room frame building served students until 1932, when it was replaced with a brick schoolhouse that stands today. In the 1940’s, the American GI Forum and League of United Latin American Citizens fought against inequality in schools. Their cases in Texas courts and the U.S. Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education ended the legal segregation of schoolchildren. However, by 1938, high school students from the West Side School had already been integrated with A.C. Jones High School. Integration of all Mexican American students was peacefully completed by the mid 1950’s. Long after this second school’s ipso facto case of segregation was remedied in the 1970’s, the building continues as the Adult Education Center and as a reminder of the teachers and students who worked to improve the lives of the Mexican-American population.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Bee County - Beeville
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Bee County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Usage:
Total Uses: 265
Past 30 days: 3
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Bee County - Beeville
Description:

Photograph of the historical marker dedicated to the West Side School for Mexican Americans. The West Side School for Mexican Americans, also known as Jackson School, was built in the early 1900’s. A two-room frame building served students until 1932, when it was replaced with a brick schoolhouse that stands today. In the 1940’s, the American GI Forum and League of United Latin American Citizens fought against inequality in schools. Their cases in Texas courts and the U.S. Supreme Court decision Brown v. Board of Education ended the legal segregation of schoolchildren. However, by 1938, high school students from the West Side School had already been integrated with A.C. Jones High School. Integration of all Mexican American students was peacefully completed by the mid 1950’s. Long after this second school’s ipso facto case of segregation was remedied in the 1970’s, the building continues as the Adult Education Center and as a reminder of the teachers and students who worked to improve the lives of the Mexican-American population.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): historical markers | West Side School for Mexican Americans
Partner:
Bee County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: BEHC_b001-039
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth78722
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image