Railroad Depot in Bee Country

Description:

The marker for the railroad in Bee County is on the site of the old depot on West Bowie and North Madison Streets. On June 14, 1886, the first San Antonio and Aransas Pass train arrived in Beeville to a cheering crowd. The arrival of the railroad to Bee County came after Uriah Lott, the man responsible for building the S.A.&A.P. railroad, made a formal railroad proposition to Frank O. Skidmore, a wealthy stockman on the Aransas River, asking for a $100,000 bonus to bring the railroad to Bee County. Mr. Lott appealed to stockmen interested in hauling their cattle to market. The committee in charge of raising the bonus was made up of A.C. Jones and John W. Flournoy. In January 1886 Sheriff D.A.T. Walton showed Mr. Lott around Bee County by buggy, and the committee informed him that they had already raised $55,000. Uriah Lott then headed his railroad through Bee County. After the takeover of SA&AP by Southern Pacific in 1925, the depot became a Southern Pacific station. In 1958, the depot was razed, and the last train left Bee County in 1994. Before the railroad all freighting was done by wagon, and most of it came from Saint Marys on the coast.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Bee County - Beeville
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Bee County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Usage:
Total Uses: 121
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Bee County - Beeville
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Date
1886  
Description:

The marker for the railroad in Bee County is on the site of the old depot on West Bowie and North Madison Streets. On June 14, 1886, the first San Antonio and Aransas Pass train arrived in Beeville to a cheering crowd. The arrival of the railroad to Bee County came after Uriah Lott, the man responsible for building the S.A.&A.P. railroad, made a formal railroad proposition to Frank O. Skidmore, a wealthy stockman on the Aransas River, asking for a $100,000 bonus to bring the railroad to Bee County. Mr. Lott appealed to stockmen interested in hauling their cattle to market. The committee in charge of raising the bonus was made up of A.C. Jones and John W. Flournoy. In January 1886 Sheriff D.A.T. Walton showed Mr. Lott around Bee County by buggy, and the committee informed him that they had already raised $55,000. Uriah Lott then headed his railroad through Bee County. After the takeover of SA&AP by Southern Pacific in 1925, the depot became a Southern Pacific station. In 1958, the depot was razed, and the last train left Bee County in 1994. Before the railroad all freighting was done by wagon, and most of it came from Saint Marys on the coast.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 5 x 7 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): wagons
Partner:
Bee County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2009
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: BEHC_b001-043_01
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth78726
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image