First United Methodist Church THC Marker

Description:

Photograph of a historical marker for the First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas, located at Lamar Avenue and 3rd NE Street. The marker was established by the Texas Historical Commission and reads:

"First United Methodist Church of Paris
The beginning of this congregation can be traced to 1843, when the Rev. James Graham organized the First Methodist Church in the area. It later took the name Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Meanwhile, another congregation, Lamar Avenue Methodist Church, was formed. After the destructive Paris fire of 1916, the two churches decided to form one central downtown congregation, and the merger became official in 1918. The Rev. Robert P. Shuler was appointed first pastor of the new congre-gation, now known as First United Methodist Church of Paris. (1985)"

Creator(s): Bell, Jim
Location(s): United States - Texas - Lamar County - Paris
Creation Date: November 13, 2008
Partner(s):
Private Collection of Jim Bell
Collection(s):
Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 27
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: November 13, 2008
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Lamar County - Paris
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
November 13, 2008
Description:

Photograph of a historical marker for the First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas, located at Lamar Avenue and 3rd NE Street. The marker was established by the Texas Historical Commission and reads:

"First United Methodist Church of Paris
The beginning of this congregation can be traced to 1843, when the Rev. James Graham organized the First Methodist Church in the area. It later took the name Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Meanwhile, another congregation, Lamar Avenue Methodist Church, was formed. After the destructive Paris fire of 1916, the two churches decided to form one central downtown congregation, and the merger became official in 1918. The Rev. Robert P. Shuler was appointed first pastor of the new congre-gation, now known as First United Methodist Church of Paris. (1985)"

Physical Description:

1 photograph : col.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): THC markers | buildings | Texas Historical Commission markers
Partner:
Private Collection of Jim Bell
Collection:
Jim Bell Texas Architecture Photograph Collection
Identifier:
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth85033
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image