[101 E. Oak - Federal Building]

Description:

Photograph of the front (south) and west side of the "Federal Building," located at 101 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Renaissance Revival-style details. This view shows the building from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets.

Creator(s): Hardy, Daniel
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: December 1989
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Usage:
Total Uses: 44
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: December 1989
  • Digitized: February 1, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.762664, -95.631449
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
December 1989
Description:

Photograph of the front (south) and west side of the "Federal Building," located at 101 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Renaissance Revival-style details. This view shows the building from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets.

Note:

Camera looking: Northeast

Note:

This building was designed by James Knox Taylor of the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Supervising Architect. It was built in 1907, on land purchased by the federal government from St. Phillip’s Episcopal Church and Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Hicks. The new post office replaced older facilities which had occupied various locations through out the city since the mid-1800’s. In 1964, a new post office was built several blocks to the north and this facility was converted into a Federal Building to house a number of general federal offices.

In 1987 the building was declared surplus to the government’s needs and in 1989 the government transferred the building to Anderson County for use as county offices. The building still houses county offices and also is the home of the Anderson County Historical Commission.

This building is one of only two local institutional buildings with Renaissance Revival detailing; the other is the old Carnegie Library. This architectural expression gained only marginal popularity throughout Texas, making the old Post Office in Palestine a rare example of the style. When completed in 1907, the Post Office immediately became a prominent architectural landmark in the community. The Post Office’s unique physical character is further bolstered by its placement as a detached building in the downtown; the building literally stands apart from the almost continuous series of row commercial properties in Palestine’s central business district.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): commercial buildings | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
  • Architect : Taylor, James Knox U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Supervising Architect
Alternate Title: [101 E. Oak - Federal Bldg]
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 2006 - PPL - HRSPT_1
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth9396
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.762664, -95.631449

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls