[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Description:

Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.

Creator(s): Hardy, Daniel
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: December 1989
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Usage:
Total Uses: 29
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: December 1989
  • Digitized: February 1, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.763032, -95.629237
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
From 1888 to 1986
Description:

Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.

Note:

Camera looking: Southeast

Note:

The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November 6, 1889, Miss Pauline Jowers and George D. Hunter were married in the first wedding ceremony held in this new building. The original sanctuary was restored in 1986.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 10 x 8 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): First Presbyterian Church | ecclesiastical architecture | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 2006 - PPL - HRSPT_1
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth9402
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.763032, -95.629237

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls