[601 S. May - Dilley Foundry Furnace Building]

Description:

Photograph of the south and east sides of the Dilley Foundry Furnace Building located on the 600 block of S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building that housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry; it is surrounded by trees and is overgrown with vegetation.

Creator(s): Hardy, Daniel
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: December 1989
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Usage:
Total Uses: 177
Past 30 days: 2
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: December 1989
  • Digitized: January 31, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.75631, -95.634447
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
December 1989
Description:

Photograph of the south and east sides of the Dilley Foundry Furnace Building located on the 600 block of S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building that housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry; it is surrounded by trees and is overgrown with vegetation.

Note:

Camera looking: Northwest
Photograph: 16 of 22

Note:

Abandoned, overgrown with vegetation and in poor condition, this 1-story brick building housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry and is one of the only eight extant industrial properties in Palestine erected before 1945. This building was also once part of the studios of local artist Ancil Nunn. On one wall inside the building is a painted a rendition of the “Bright and Early Coffee” emblem that adorned coffee cans for years. It was painted directly onto the brick by Mr. Nunn. Illinois-native George Mansfield Dilley, the prominent railroad-building contractor who played an instrumental role in the expansion of railroads throughout Texas and the South, established a foundry at this site in 1873, one year after the railroad arrived in Palestine. The George M. Dilley & Son Foundry, located adjacent to the I&GN tracks, at one time contained more than ten buildings. The enterprise manufactured some farm equipment and machinery, but its primary output was gray iron and brass castings for Texas railroads. The elder Dilley moved to Dallas in the 1880s, but the foundry continued to be run by his son, George Edward Dilley – one of Palestine’s most prominent citizens of the late 19th century. G.E. Dilley continued operations at the foundry until his death in 1932; his son Clarence V. Dilley then took over until his own death five years later. In the mid-1930s, the plant had an average payroll of about twenty thousand dollars, for a workforce of twenty to twenty-five men. The foundry ceased operations in the late 1930s. All that remains today are the frame office building, this nearby brick brass furnace building, and a lengthy iron fence which borders the property and faces May Street (which local historians believe was named after G.M. Dilley’s infant daughter, Edna May Dilley, who died in 1872).

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): industrial buildings | historic buildings
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 2006 - PPL - HRSPT_1
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth9410
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.75631, -95.634447

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls