[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church]

Description:

Photograph of the front and north side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. To the left of the building, there is a stone wall with arches that match the building's windows, and a decorative wooden gate.

Creator(s): Hardy, Daniel
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: December 1989
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Usage:
Total Uses: 46
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: December 1989
  • Digitized: January 31, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.758936, -95.632374
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
December 1989
Description:

Photograph of the front and north side of the First United Methodist Church, located at 422 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. The two-story church is made of brick with stone accents and has Gothic Revival-style architecture, including pointed, arched openings and corner towers; the tower on the southwest corner is taller than the rest of the building. To the left of the building, there is a stone wall with arches that match the building's windows, and a decorative wooden gate.

Note:

Camera looking: Southeast
Photograph: 12 of 22

Note:

The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): First United Methodist Church | ecclesiastical architecture | historic buildings
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 2006 - PPL - HRSPT_1
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth9414
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.758936, -95.632374
[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church]

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls