You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: English
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
--Winter Scene--Shipping Star Well Water-- From Min. Wells Texas--

--Winter Scene--Shipping Star Well Water-- From Min. Wells Texas--

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A legend on the photograph reads: "--Winter Scene-- --Shipping Star Well Water-- --From Min. Wells Texas--" The Star Well was located in the 200 block of NE 1st Avenue, across the street and north of where the Baker Hotel now [2008] stands. It was managed by Frank Richards, who purchased a block of land in the north part of Millsap Valley on which two wells were dug that proved to have an abundant supply of the very strongest mineral water. Mineral water was expensive to ship, so furnaces were built at the new location, pumps installed, and a modern evaporating plant built to produce hundreds of pounds of crystals annually. (The new well became known as the Pike Well.) Signs on the building claim that the water "Cures stomach trouble" as well as constipation, nervousnes [sic], insomnia, rheumatism, and female diseases." This picture can be found in "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", First edition, on page 57.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Womanless Theater]

[The Womanless Theater]

Date: 1930?/1935
Creator: unknown
Description: This is apparently the picture of a picture of a fund-raiser performed by the Lion's Club. It consisted of a play in which men all played the roles of women. Identified (in print) are the three "ladies" in front: J. B Courtney (Miss Fortune), Charles Williams, and Noble Glenn (Miss Applied). Also identified (in holograph) is Cecil Young, third from the right, presumably among the standing "ladies."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Women's  Basketball Game at Elmhurst Park, Mineral Wells]

[A Women's Basketball Game at Elmhurst Park, Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A women's basketball game (at Elmhurst Park, Mineral Wells, taken about 1910) is shown in progress here. A "Dancing Pavilion" is visible in the background. Please note the players' uniforms. This scene shows a battle for the rebound after a shot at the basket.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Women's Corps, Palo Pinto County Civil Defense]

[The Women's Corps, Palo Pinto County Civil Defense]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Women's Corp, Palo Pinto County Civil Defense. The photograph pictures 13 (unnamed) women, a young girl, and A. F. Weaver during a flag presentation. Mr. Weaver, a Ham Radio operator, set up the Palo Pinto County Civil Defense on October 1, 1972 and was the director for 26 years. Mr. Weaver was also the author of "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells", a photographic history, first published in 1975. The book was revised and published again in three subsequent editions.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Woodman of the World Camp Meeting , June 19, 1947

Woodman of the World Camp Meeting , June 19, 1947

Date: June 19, 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: A white-ink legend on the face of this photograph reads: Woodman [sic] of the World Camp Meeting----6-19-47 Mineral Wells, Texas. phillips [sic] photographic [sic] Service [sic] A typed legend on the back of the photograph reads: WOW MEETING 6-19-47 held in Convention Hall. Recognized Front [sic] row from left: #1 Ezra Wortham. #5 Charlie Sheridan, #6 George Oliver 3rd. Row standing #1 John Birdwell, #5 Louis Fryer, #6 John Miller, #7 Ben Yeager, #12 Bill Teichman. 4th row: #1 Charlie Langley #15 Roy Langley [Unreadable deletions in green ink above appear this caption] This picture appears in Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 165.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Woodmen of the World -- 1905]

[The Woodmen of the World -- 1905]

Date: October 30, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: Mineral Wells was a popular convention city in its heyday. This photograph is part of the group attending a convention of the Woodmen of the World in Mineral Wells. The picture was taken around 1905 at the Texas Carlsbad Well, once located at 415 NW 1st Avenue.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Woodmen of the World - 1911]

[The Woodmen of the World - 1911]

Date: October 30, 2006
Creator: unknown
Description: The picture was taken in 1911 during the Woodmen of the World convention. It shows the backside of the Crazy Flats, before the first Crazy Hotel sections were constructed. The buildings in the background are the four wings of the Crazy Well Water Company, "The Crazy Flats," where rooms for rent were also available. The first Crazy Hotel was built the following year, 1912, on the location where this convention gathering is pictured.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Woodmen of the World Convention, 1911],

[The Woodmen of the World Convention, 1911],

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This is another picture of the convention of The Woodmen of the World in 1911. Note the men holding symbolic axes. This picture represents half of a photographic panorama view. It was taken at the back of Crazy Flats, the Crazy Water Company's third Drinking Pavilion, that also offered rooms for rent. The first Crazy Hotel was built on this open lot the following year. Clark's Pharmacy and The Lithia Drug Company are also pictured behind and to the left of the "Crazy Flats."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
The Woodruff Cottage

The Woodruff Cottage

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Copy around this picture states that the Woodruff Cottage was built by a Civil War veteran who came to Mineral Wells for his health in 1903. His health improved so much, writes the copy, that he decided to build a fine home here with rooms for visitors. A note on the back of the picture indicates the "Cottage" was opened in 1905. The copy also states that it was located one block north of the Crazy and Carlsbad wells, and became quite popular because of its convenient location.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Yeager Block]

[The Yeager Block]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a white sandstone building on NE 1st Avenue named "Yeager Block." The original home of (what was often called) the Lion Drugstore, it once sported a metal statue of a lion mounted on the roof, which gave rise to the legend that the business was called "The Lion Drug." (Current living descendants of Dr. Yeager do not ever remember the drugstore being referred to by than name. However, a casual reference to it in 1912 refers to the store as "The Lion Drug.") It housed the Baker Medical Supply at the time of the photograph. A retail store in the left of the photograph is named "The Rural Route." A handwritten date on the back of the photograph gives the year as "1993." The coffee shop "H2J0" is located [in 2007] where "The Rural Route" used to be.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library