You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1900-1909
 Year: 1907
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
Casino

Casino

Date: 1907/1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: A Casino at Elmhurst Park was located in southwest Mineral Wells, Texas, at the turn of the twentieth century. The structure was a large stucco building facing Elmhurst Lake (created by a dam on Pollard Creek) in the foreground. The lake was sometimes referred to as "Pollard Lake." Elmhurst Park was served by the Mineral Wells Electric Railroad (Street Car), with whom it seemed to have had a symbiotic relationship; both came into existence about 1903, and both went out of business about 1913.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Casino at Elmhurst Park - 2 of 3]

[The Casino at Elmhurst Park - 2 of 3]

Date: 1907/1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Casino, facing the lake at Elmhurst Park is shown here. For more details about it, please see the other pictures.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Cumberland Presbyterian Church]

[The Cumberland Presbyterian Church]

Date: 1907/1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is a picture of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. On the back of picture is written "901 N.Oak [.] Sold to Church of Christ [.] Demolished and rebuilt." The streetcar tracks, which ran from 1907 to 1913 are visible on N. Oak in front of the church. The church takes its name from Cumberland Street, Philadelphia. A sub-sect of Presbyterianism--based on an Arminian interpretation of Calvinism--was begun at the church there. A Cumberland Presbyterian church is advertised as being in Newberry at the present [2014] time. The picture was taken before North Oak Avenue was paved in 1914. The Church of Christ still [2008] occupies this location on N. Oak Avenue.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Daniel Photo 1907

Daniel Photo 1907

Date: 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown is a group of seven women (riding "sidesaddle" as was the fashion for women at the time), two men and a boy, all riding donkeys. A handwritten note on the photograph's mat identifies it as: "Daniel Photo 1907." The identities of the people are unknown, but the caption suggests this could have been a Daniel family outing. Riding donkeys over the "mountains" of Mineral Wells was a popular pastime of the day. The picture appears to have been taken atop East Mountain in Mineral Wells, which was a popular destination. Souvenir photographs of of the donkey trails survive from the early days. [There was a Daniel's Studio located in the 200 block of N. Oak Avenue in the early days of Mineral Wells, and this photograph is likely to have come from that collection. In which case, the group shown here could have been unrelated.]
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Elmhurst Park

Elmhurst Park

Date: 1907/1913
Creator: unknown
Description: This illustration appears to be a picture postcard of the entrance to Elmhurst Park, an amusement park on Pollard Creek, about five miles southwest of Mineral Wells. The park operated from 1907 to 1913, and was a major attraction in "the nation's most popular health spa" at that time.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
James Alvis Lynch, Founder of Mineral Wells

James Alvis Lynch, Founder of Mineral Wells

Date: 1907?
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of James Alvis Lynch, who founded Mineral Wells in 1881, is wearing a suit, sitting on a donkey, and holding a bottle of mineral water on an unknown rocky hill.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Mineral Wells Electric System Trolley Car]

[A Mineral Wells Electric System Trolley Car]

Date: 1907?/1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: The Number 23 trolley car is illustrated here. Trolley cars operated from 1907 until 1913. The trolley cars ran east-and-west on Hubbard Street, from Elmwood Cemetery at NE 17th Avenue to NW 12th Avenue, where passengers could disembark for a short walk to Lake Pinto, southwest of the city. The trolleys also ran and north-and-south on Oak Avenue along the edge of the business district. The Trolley Company was instrumental in developing Elmhurst Park, southwest of the City. The streetcar route was extended from Oak Street west to SW 4th Avenue, to SW 21st Street, thence along 21st Street in a westerly direction some two miles to the park on Pollard Creek.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Mineral Wells Firemen , about 1907]

[Mineral Wells Firemen , about 1907]

Date: 1907?
Creator: unknown
Description: An undated, hand-written note, in what appears to be Mr. Weaver's writing, and attached to the print says that it is "Sam Smith's Picture." In another person's handwriting, a second note states, "MW [Mineral Wells] firemen at McLendon and Burch Feed Store--where Brookshire Furniture store now is (213 SE 1st Street). Burned out between 1907 and 1915. Front Row: Guy Croft, Henry Russell, J W (Buck) Thomas, Jube Warren, Holland Cogdell, Bill Deck (mask on), Bob Bozzell, Oscar Bish -Chief- , John Moore. Top Row - John Gill, Ben McGowen, D.E. Odell, Henry Briley, Arthur Ford, Arthur Howard, C.H. Alexander, Henry Hester, J.W. Birdwell, Ernest Wallace, Reginald Cogdell (driver). 18 are known to be deceased." Then, in Mr. Weaver's handwriting again, "All but three deceased." There is another note subtracting 1907 from 1973, with 66 as the result. The photograph possibly dates from 1907, and Mr. Weaver's notes to 1973.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Old Elmhurst Park , Allen & Charles,1907

Old Elmhurst Park , Allen & Charles,1907

Date: 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Two people are shown standing on the wooden bridge at Elmhust Park, Mineral Wells, in 1907. A holograph inscription on the photograph that reads "Old Elmhurst Park, Allen & Charles, 1907", probably refers to the man and boy in the picture. Elmhurst Park, a very popular recreation area during its heyday, was located in southwest Mineral Wells at the end of the streetcar line. Patrons walked from the streetcar (in the background) across the wooden bridge to the Casino and other attractions.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Trolley Car of the] Mineral Wells Electric System

[A Trolley Car of the] Mineral Wells Electric System

Date: 1907?/1913?
Creator: unknown
Description: A trolley car of the Mineral Wells Electric System. is shown here. Trolleys ran from 1907 to 1913, carrying passengers to Pinto Lake west of town, and to Elmhurst Park and Lake two miles southwest of town. Information about them, displayed here and in other photographs, was taken from A. F. Weaver's book "Time Was in Mineral Wells," second edition, page 84.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST