You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 12 of 21:   Numerous Fire Hoses Lying in Front of the Hotel]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 12 of 21: Numerous Fire Hoses Lying in Front of the Hotel]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Another view of the front entrance to the Damron Hotel at 109 W. Hubbard during the earlier stages of the fire that completely destroyed it on December 22, 1975. The hotel was originally built in 1906 during Mineral Wells' heyday as a popular resort spa. It was built by rancher J. T. Holt for his second wife, who would not live in the country. Originally named The Colonial Hotel, the name was changed 1n 1917 when Mr. Holt traded it to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch. The spectacular Holiday fire that destroyed the hotel received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 15 of 21:  Passenger Cars on a Back Street]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 15 of 21: Passenger Cars on a Back Street]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel, built in 1906 during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort spa, burned completely on December 22, 1975. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard Street. This picture shows the dense cloud of smoke that resulted from the holiday catastrophe.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 16 of 21:  Black Smoke Billowing Over Businesses]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 16 of 21: Black Smoke Billowing Over Businesses]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another view of the huge column of black smoke accompanying the Damron Hotel fire that completely destroyed the hotel on December 22, 1975. The hotel was built in 1906 as the Colonial Hotel by rancher J. T. Holt for his second wife, who would not live in the country. The popular hotel was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron in 1917 for a ranch, and its name was changed to reflect the new ownership. It was located at 109 W. Hubbard Street, and the spectacular fire that destroyed it received extensive photographic coverage.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21:   Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 17 of 21: Two Individuals on the Street Northwest of the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is another view of the plume of thick black smoke at the height of the fire that completely destroyed the Damron Hotel December 22, 1975, along with two hard-hatted individuals (presumably fire-fighters) standing in the street. The hotel was originally built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by J. T. Holt for his second wife, because the second Mrs. Holt said that she would not live in the country. Mr. Holt traded the hotel to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch in 1917, and the hotel's name was changed to reflect the new ownership. It was a very popular hotel during the mineral water industry's heyday through the Roaring Twenties, Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 18 of 21:   Individual in Front of the Burning Hotel]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 18 of 21: Individual in Front of the Burning Hotel]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel, built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 during the days that Mineral Wells was a popular resort, burned completely on December 22, 1975. It was built by Mr. J. T. Holt for his second wife who would not live in the country. It was traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch about 1917 and the name was changed to reflect the new ownership. Shown here is another view of the front entrance to the hotel as flames burst through the front wall of the building. The gesturing individual with the hard hat has not been identified.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 19 of 21, Two People Looking South from North]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 19 of 21, Two People Looking South from North]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: The Damron Hotel was built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 during the heyday of Mineral Wells as a popular resort city. Mr. J. T. Holt built it for his second wife, because she insisted that she would not live in the country. It was traded in 1917 for a ranch to Agnew and Bessie Damron, and the name of the hotel was changed to reflect the new ownership. It burned completely on December 22, 1975. This picture shows the front entrance under a dark plume of black smoke, with flames breaking through the upper floors of the front wall. Two people (one with a hard hat, and one without)stand observing the proceedings.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 20 of 21:   Different View of the Fire]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 20 of 21: Different View of the Fire]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Shown here is yet another view of fire at the Damron Hotel, December 22, 1975 is shown here. The hotel was located in the 109 W. Hubbard Street. The fire also destroyed Davidson Hardware, which was in the same building.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Damron Hotel Fire, 21 of 21:  An  Early Stage, Looking East, Smoke Billowing]

[The Damron Hotel Fire, 21 of 21: An Early Stage, Looking East, Smoke Billowing]

Date: December 22, 1975
Creator: unknown
Description: Here is a view of the Damron Hotel (formerly located at 109 W. Hubbard Street)during the early stages of the fire (on December 22, 1975) that completely destroyed it. Built as the Colonial Hotel in 1906 by J. T. Holt for his second wife, and traded to Agnew and Bessie Damron for a ranch about 1917, the name was changed to reflect the new ownership. It was a popular hotel during the heyday of Mineral Wells--through the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression and World War II.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 4 of 5]

[The Demolition of the Convention Hall, 4 of 5]

Date: 1976
Creator: unknown
Description: A holograph legend on the back of this picture states: "Tearing down Convention Hall 1976." The photograph illustrates the demolition of the building in full swing. Only the skeleton of the roof remains, and the walls are in ruins. This picture appears in Weaver's "TIME WAS in Mineral Wells" on page 186.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Three Railroads to Mineral Wells

Three Railroads to Mineral Wells

Date: 1976
Creator: Payne, H. L.
Description: Pamphlet containing a brief history of the Weatherford, Mineral Wells and Northwestern Railway, the Gulf and Brazos Valley Railway, and the Gulf, Texas and Western Railway. It has a map of rail routes, photographs, and copies of schedules with ticket prices.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library