You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Language: No Language
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
[An Aerial View of Residential Areas]

[An Aerial View of Residential Areas]

Date: April 29, 1967
Creator: A. F. Weaver
Description: An aerial view of residential area in Mineral Wells is shown here. The exact locale of the photograph is unclear.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [The Arlington Hotel]

[The Arlington Hotel]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: The Arlington Hotel--the largest hotel in Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas--with its famous thermal baths, is shown here. It is under the regulation of the United States Government. There is a beautiful "Cascade" swimming pool for guests. This picture is taken from a POST CARD titled "Plastichrome [Registered] by COLOURPICTURES, INC. Boston, 10, Massachusetts U.S.A." This hotel was said to be the model for the Baker Hotel in Mineral Wells.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Austin Well]

[The Austin Well]

Date: 1974
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph shows the Austin Well as it was in 1974. A legend on the back of photograph reads: "Looking south shows remains of Austin Well in the foreground with the remains of what used to be the crystal plant. Across the street may be seen the St Regis box plant." The former Crazy Water Crystal plant, at the left edge of the picture, is now the St. Regis box factory This well is associated with a unique and romantic history: A cowboy rode a blind mare into Mineral Wells and auctioned her off for a dollar and a half. Mr. Austin acquired the horse, and put her to work drawing water from the well by turning a wheel to which was attached a rope, which with each revolution of the wheel, pulled a bucket of water from the well to ground level. Nellie was trained to pause at a point in her circular route long enough for the bucket to be emptied, then continue on to pull up the next bucket when it was filled. Blind Nellie was retired in her old age, but continued to walk a similar circular route in the pasture to which she was retired, ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Baker Hotel:  A Picture Taken From the South Window of the Hexagon Hotel]

[The Baker Hotel: A Picture Taken From the South Window of the Hexagon Hotel]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: A note with this photograph states: "Photo taken out of top floor south window of Hexagon Hotel. Photo re-printed in 1977. Photo probably taken 1954 due to penciled in date on back." (Also, the building in the lower left corner of the picture still bears the "USO" sign of World War II.) See also "Hexagon Hotel" [with history]. In front of the Baker Hotel stands the "Old Post Office, now the Ladies Garden Club Building. The Crazy Hotel can be seen between the right edge of the picture and the spire attached atop one of the gables of the Hexagon Hotel.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Baker Hotel at Night]

[The Baker Hotel at Night]

Date: 1940
Creator: unknown
Description: [Baker Hotel at Night. Cars parked on street. Wind blows through trees.] Legend: Photo & colorized by A. F. Weaver 1940
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [The Baker Hotel Roof Garden]

[The Baker Hotel Roof Garden]

Date: 1999
Creator: unknown
Description: This photograph is identified as "Baker Hotel Roof Garden February 1999." Two chandeliers are still in place on the ceiling, but the missing floor boards, the peeling paint, and the deserted condition of the room is indicative of the sad condition of once a beautiful ballroom.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Baker Hotel Swimming Pool

Baker Hotel Swimming Pool

Date: February 1990
Creator: unknown
Description: None
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 [Bank of Mineral Wells]

[Bank of Mineral Wells]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows the interior of the Bank of Mineral Wells. Collie Smith, L.E. Hamen, and someone named only "O'Neal" are shown in the cages. The bank went out of business in 1924. The building was then used by Ball Drugs, and then by Massengale's Appliances. The building was eventually torn down, to make room for a parking in the downtown area. It is featured in "Time was in Mineral Wells" on page 148.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[Barber Lake]

[Barber Lake]

Date: 1900?
Creator: unknown
Description: Many property owners in early Mineral Wells had their own water wells, but the city pumped water to a small standpipe on East Mountain for distribution to the city. When the wells became insufficient to supply the city's needs, Barber Lake was built in the Barber Addition - in the northeast part of town - as Mineral Wells' first city water supply lake. Around 1905, Cicero Smith and Ed Dismuke built a dam across Pollard Creek west of the city to form Lake Pinto, the city's next water supply. Barber Lake, the City's first municipal water supply, can still be found southeast of Cullen Grimes School (built in 1920 at 1800 NE 1st. Avenue as Barber School: the name was changed to Cullen Grimes in honor of a long-time principal when it was enlarged in 1942.)
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Baseball Team]

[A Baseball Team]

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: This picture shows a men's baseball team in Mineral Wells, but the identification of the team and the men are unknown. Ike Zablosky (sometimes spelled Zabronski), a Russian immigrant, arrived in America in 1906. He entered the fur-trading business in Mineral Wells, and is credited with naming the Possum Kingdom area when a customer inquired about some premium pelts. Zablosky replied that he had none at the time, but "When my boys return from the possum kingdom, I'm sure they will have some." In Mineral Wells, Zablosky operated a class C professional league baseball team (the Resorters). He became owner of the first professional baseball team in Dallas, later in life. The Chicago White Sox are known to have held their Spring Training camp in Mineral Wells in 1911, and again in a three-year stretch of 1916, 1917, and 1918. It has not been established whether the players shown in this picture are part of the Resorters or White Sox teams. The man in the background, with an apparent uniform, is shown holding an instrument whose function has not been determined.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library