You limited your search to:

  Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
 Decade: 1930-1939
 Collection: A. F. Weaver Collection
[A Panoramic View of Lake Mineral Wells]

[A Panoramic View of Lake Mineral Wells]

Date: 1930?
Creator: unknown
Description: An early panoramic view of Lake Mineral Wells is illustrated here. The lake was built by the city of Mineral Wells for a municipal water supply in 1920. Rock Creek, in Parker County, was dammed to impound a lake approximately one mile wide and five miles long. An island, visible in the center of this picture, was initially accessible only by boat; but a wooden walkway eventually connected it to the concrete dam. The dam at Lake Mineral Wells was raised because of the increased need for water due to the building of Camp Wolters and its expansion into the largest Infantry Replacement Training Center in the nation in World War II. The island was thereafter covered by water. Lake Mineral Wells eventually became partially filled with silt, and another water supply was sought. Palo Pinto Creek was dammed by the city In the mid 1960's to form Lake Palo Pinto, approximately ten miles southwest of the county seat of Palo Pinto County. It became the current source of Mineral Wells' municipal water supply. Lake Mineral Wells was donated to Texas Parks and Wildlife in 1980, and became the focal point of Lake Mineral Wells State Park. Due to its ...
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Road to Mineral Wells]

[The Road to Mineral Wells]

Date: 1936
Creator: unknown
Description: The 1936 opening of the brick highway from Mineral Wells to Weatherford, now known as Highway US 180. This was a Works Project Administration (WPA) highway, built during the early "Great Depression" recovery period. The photograph is looking west toward Mineral Wells, and the Baker Hotel may be seen faintly on the horizon at left center of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sewerage Disposal Plant

Sewerage Disposal Plant

Date: 1930?/1939?
Creator: unknown
Description: Mineral Wells' Sewerage Disposal Plant was built on the site of the former Elmhurst Park on Pollard Creek, approximately 2 miles SSW of the city. The city obtained the park property, and built the sewerage treatment plant during the recovery from the Great Depression of the 1930's. Shown here is a photograph of a clipping from a newspaper.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
Sewing Room

Sewing Room

Date: 1937?
Creator: unknown
Description: The back of the photograph exhibits a note that this picture was copied from the "Burro", which is the Mineral Wells High School yearbook. The "Sewing Room" was a classroom in the Lillian Peek Home Economics building on the grounds of the high school. The Lillian Peek cottage was built by the WPA in 1937, and was the first free- standing house built specifically for Home Economics education in the State of Texas. It was "Current state of the art" when it was completed. The building now houses the Creative Arts Center, and is used by the local Art Club as an art workshop and museum.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[A Supervisor at the Crazy Bottling/Crystals Plant]

[A Supervisor at the Crazy Bottling/Crystals Plant]

Date: 1930?/1939?
Creator: unknown
Description: Identifying information on this photograph is lacking, but it appears to portray a supervisor in the Crazy Bottling/Crystals Plant catching up on the paperwork produced by a day's business.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
View of Mineral Wells from East Mountain Showing Crazy Hotel & Nazareth Hospital

View of Mineral Wells from East Mountain Showing Crazy Hotel & Nazareth Hospital

Date: 1930?/1939?
Creator: unknown
Description: A view of Mineral Wells from East Mountain, looking West-Northwest is shown here. The Crazy Hotel is visible in the near-left part of the picture, and the Nazareth Hospital in the middle-left, a block Northwest of the Crazy The Norwood Clinic (with its stately white columns), a block northeast of the Nazareth, is located near the center of the picture.
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
[The Womanless Theater]

[The Womanless Theater]

Date: 1930?/1935
Creator: unknown
Description: This is apparently the picture of a picture of a fund-raiser performed by the Lion's Club. It consisted of a play in which men all played the roles of women. Identified (in print) are the three "ladies" in front: J. B Courtney (Miss Fortune), Charles Williams, and Noble Glenn (Miss Applied). Also identified (in holograph) is Cecil Young, third from the right, presumably among the standing "ladies."
Contributing Partner: Boyce Ditto Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT LAST