You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1900-1909
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Rapid waters formed at Austin Dam after Colorado River flood]

[Rapid waters formed at Austin Dam after Colorado River flood]

Date: 1900
Creator: Hill, S.B.
Description: Photograph of high, rapid waters of the Colorado River at the site of the former Austin Dam. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Home Damaged by Colorado River Flood]

[Home Damaged by Colorado River Flood]

Date: [..1909]
Creator: Marks, H. R.
Description: Photograph of a house damaged by the Colorado River flood.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin Dam broken in Colorado River flood]

[Austin Dam broken in Colorado River flood]

Date: 1900
Creator: Marks, H.R.
Description: Photograph of Southeast view of the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood. The dam was built in 1890 in an attempt to bring industry to the city, but failed after upriver storms sent a flood cracking the dam and killing eight people when the powerhouse flooded.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Fire at Texas State Hospital]

[Fire at Texas State Hospital]

Date: 1902
Creator: Peterson, B.C.
Description: Photograph of the Texas State Hospital burning. The main building was spared the fire and remains the administrative building for the Austin State Hospital to this day. The main administrative building is the third oldest public service building in the state. The State Lunatic Asylum was established in 1856 in the model of Philadelphia psychiatrist Dr. Thomas Kirkbridge. It opened with 12 patients and saw as many as 3000 at once time. The Austin State Hospital currently houses around 300 patients, most staying for about a week during treatment. It is operated by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Emancipation Day Celebration band, June 19, 1900]

[Emancipation Day Celebration band, June 19, 1900]

Date: June 19, 1900
Creator: Stephenson, Mrs. Charles (Grace Murray)
Description: Photograph of African-American band at Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900, held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson kept a diary of the day's events, which she later sold to the San Francisco Chronicle, which wrote a full-page feature on it.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Emancipation Day Celebration, June 19, 1900]

[Emancipation Day Celebration, June 19, 1900]

Date: June 19, 1900
Creator: Stephenson, Mrs. Charles (Grace Murray)
Description: Photograph of Emancipation Day celebration, June 19, 1900 held in "East Woods" on East 24th Street in Austin. Mrs. Grace Murray Stephenson also kept a diary of the day's events which she sold to the San Francisco Chronicle which reported a full-page feature on it.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion front entrance]

[Governor's Mansion front entrance]

Date: 1907
Creator: The Elliots
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation with cacti urns out front, shows iron fence with gate, very simple limestone steps up to the gate in a white wrought-iron fence. All windows are shuttered. The Carriage House is visible in the right background. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1907 was Governor S.W.T. Lanham. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

[Aerial View of Governor's Mansion]

Date: 1909
Creator: unknown
Description: Early photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion front elevation from a high vantage point across the street, showing lot in front of the mansion, grounds. The Carriage House is visible behind trees to the right of the mansion. A wooden fence is visible behind the mansion, but other fences are removed. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1909 was Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]

[Austin Dam Broken after Flood]

Date: January 1, 1900
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a view southeast at the Austin Dam on the Colorado River after breaking during a flood.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin High School class of 1907

Austin High School class of 1907

Date: 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the twenty-four students in the Austin High School class of 1907. Bottom row (left to right): Ernest von Rosenberg, Tom Byrne, Harwood Stacey, Eugene Hill, Offie Leonard. Middle row (left to right): Arthur Crawford, Irene Maddox, Lillian Krohn, Eva von Homeyer, Louise Smith, Elva Powell, Amelia Nelson, Mabel Harrison, William Ruggles. Back row standing (left to right): Harris Brush, Mary Thaxton, Juanita Yarbrough, Leona Dean, Esther Bishop, Anna Maxwell, Josephine McGuire, P.J. Anthony, and William Jackson. Not present: Johanna Runge and Windom Burke.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST