You limited your search to:

 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
[Side view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]
Photograph of the side of Blackshear Elementary School, a two story brick building with a flat roof located at 1712 East 11th Street and constructed in 1936. The school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. There are groups of 5 windows on the first and second floor, with decorative brickwork on the wall between the floors. A one-story entrance, with two sets of wooden double doors, sits to the left of the two-story section. To the right, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 1-BLACKSHEAR". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125085/
[Female inmate behind bars]
Photograph of a female inmate inside jail cell, sitting on bunk at Travis County Jail. She faces the interior of her dark cell. Her hair is in plastic curlers and her feet are bare. A blanket from the top bunk above her drapes low behind the bars, darkening the cell. A paperback book sits between the bars. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125082/
[Woman wearing street clothes sitting on a bunk in a Travis County Jail cell]
Photograph of a woman wearing a striped tank top and jeans sitting on a bunk in a jail cell. She holds a letter and pencil in her hands, and has a legal pad on her lap. The bed is made up with a blanket and polka dot pillow case, and there are two envelopes on the bed. A metal toilet and sink unit are in the foreground. The sink holds a bar of soap and a metal drinking cup is placed over the drain. The finish on the toilet seat is chipped and broken. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125081/
[Stephen F. Austin High School exterior]
Photograph of the exterior view of Stephen F. Austin High School. Tree branches across the upper right corner of the image obscure the view. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125087/
[Man showing woman sewing]
Photograph of a man either showing a female inmate how to sew or inspecting her sewing at Travis County Jail in Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125080/
[Old Red Building exterior, Stephen F. Austin High School]
Photograph of the Old Red Campus building, John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School. The building is a large two-story brick structure. Nearly all the windows are open. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125088/
[Front view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]
Photograph of an oblique view of the front facade of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street, which was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with a central entrance. There are groups of 5 windows on the first and second floor, with decorative brickwork on the wall between the floors. The base of the building is lined with vegetation. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 1-BLACKSHEAR". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125084/
[Old Red Campus building, John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School]
Photograph of Old Red Campus building, at the John T. Allan Campus of Stephen F. Austin High School, showing an oblique view of the front and side of the classical four-story building. The exterior walls of the first floor are constructed of stone and the upper three floors are dark brick. The front is symetrically arranged in three parts, with the central part inset from the outer parts. Porches stretch across the central part of the first and second floors, and a gable is centered above on the roof. There are punched windows on the upper floors of the front facade, while windows are ganged on the side facade. A portion of the facade, near the back of the building, has a curved wall. There is a three-story brick addition to the side of the building, and there are chute style fire escapes on both the main building and the addition. A parking lot lies to the front of the building, with several circa 1920s cars. A boy wearing knickers stands in the parking lot. The building was completed in 1900 from the plans of Burt McDonald and James Reily, and featured a domed rotunda. It was used as Austin High School until 1925, when it became the John T. Allan Junior High School. Classes were held here until 1956, when the school was destroyed by fire. A State of Texas Subject Marker was placed on the site in 1981 by the Texas Historical Commission. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125089/
[Back view of Blackshear Elementary School, located at 1712 East 11th Street]
Photograph of the back of Blackshear Elementary School, which is located at 1712 East 11th Street and backs onto Lawson Lane and was constructed in 1936. A two story brick building with a flat roof, the school was named for Edward Lavernia Blackshear, a former administrative supervisor of Austin's African-American schools. The building is symetrically designed, with groups of windows on the first and second floors. In the lower right corner of the image, hands hold a chalk board sign that reads, "2-14 5-BLACKSHEAR". There is a wood frame buidling in the background with a 7-Up sign over the entrance. A street sign in the foreground reads Lawson Lane and what appears to be Botson Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125086/
[Guards transporting inmates by van]
Photograph of two inmates with two administrators outside of a van. The inmates wear white prison jumpsuits. One administrator wears a suit and tie and one wears a guard uniform. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125083/
[Wilson Mansion at the Municipal Golf Course]
Photograph of a man sitting on a rocking chair on the porch of a small house at the Municipal Golf Course. Two children look out of the window. The caption reads "The Wilson Mansion." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125015/
[Three golfers]
Photograph of three golfers on the green at the Municipal Golf Course. Two golfers on the left hold single clubs, while the golfer on the right carries a bag of clubs. They all wear hats. Trees line the edge of the green behind them. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125017/
[Bridesmaid and groomsman at wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center, about to kiss]
Photograph of a Hispanic bridesmaid and groomsman at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis. The couple is seated at a table, apparently about to kiss. The bridesmaid is wearing a flowered dress. The groomsman is wearing a tuxedo with a ruffled shirt and a boutonniere tied with a pink ribbon on his lapel. A woman's hand rests on his right forearm at the left of the photograph. A longneck beer bottle and paper cup sit on the table in front of the couple. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125010/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion from around 1870. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125101/
[Golfers at stand with cars in the parking lot]
Photograph of five golfers lined up at a stand. The small parking lot is filled with cars, indicating the popularity of the golf course. People sit on the benches under the trees, and a boy is standing on one foot at the snack window on the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125052/
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West
Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125058/
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South
Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125059/
[Alfonso Ramos Band plays for a wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center]
Photograph of the Alfonso Ramos Band playing at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood of Austin. The band includes saxophone, drums, bongo drum, trombone, and trumpet. A man in tan suit is singing or talking into the microphone as other band members talk or wait. Five little girls, some wearing white dresses, and two little boys sit on the edge of the stage and watch the dancers. Women, wearing foral bridesmaid dresses, dance with men in suits. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125005/
[Small conjunto band, including a guitar and an accordion, play next to a building in the Montopolis neighborhood]
Photograph of a small conjunto band playing next to a building in the Montopolis neighborhood of Austin. A man stands on the right side, wearing cowboy boots and playing an accordion. A seated man seated in the middle plays an acoustic guitar and sings into a microphone. A third man sits on the left in the background. An electric cord, used to power an amplifier, the microphone, and the guitar is plugged into an electric socket just below the eaves. Three cans of Schlitz beer sit near the chairs. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125002/
[A small Conjunto band in the Montopolis Neighborhood]
Photograph of three male Conjunto musicians taking a break, as they visit with an audience of six other people, possibly Latinos. One man has an electric amplifier for his acoustic guitar, and two of the three are holding Schlitz beer cans. The audience includes a young woman standing in the doorway, a mature woman sitting on a wooden chair with a young girl on her lap, and a mature man facing the group. The group appears to be in front of a pre-fabricated building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125001/
[Bridesmaids, groomsman, and other wedding guests seated at wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]
Photograph of three bridesmaids wearing flowered dresses and short veils and a groomsman with shoulder-length hair, a moustache, and wearing a black tuxedo with a ruffled shirt, along with other wedding guests seated at wedding reception at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood of Austin. They sit with other wedding guests around a long, rectangular table. Several disposible paper cups sit on the tablecloth. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125007/
[Ricky Miramontez pinning tail on donkey]
Photograph of Ricky Miramontez, a young Hispanic boy wearing a blindfold and party hat, playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey as a woman looks on. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125000/
[Bouquet toss with bridesmaids and female guests at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood]
Photograph of a group of women, some with outstretched ars, waiting to catch the bouquet thrown by the bride at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in the Montopolis neighborhood. Some women wear long flowered bridesmaid dresses, three women are dressed in white dresses of a similar design, one wedding guest wears a black jacket trimmed with faux fur, and another guest wears a black checked top and red checked pants. Two little boys stand to the right, looking on. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125008/
[Older man seated in a wheelchair next to a table with a birthday cake]
Photograph of a man wearing a checked shirt and a neutral expression seated at a table with a sheet birthday cake decorated with icing flowers, scolloped and shell borders, and the words "Happy Birthday Johnny San James". In his right hand he holds an open can of Schlitz beer. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125004/
[Groomsmen wait to catch the garter at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis]
Photograph of several groomsmen wearing black tuxedos and ruffled shirts wait for the garter toss at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis. Two men hold the stretched garter up in the air. A group of women, including two young girls wearing long dresses, look on in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125009/
[Wedding party dancing at a wedding at the San Jose Community Center in Montopolis]
Photograph of a group of people dancing at a wedding. The women wear flowered bridesmaid dresses, elbow-length white gloves and short veils, and the men wear tuxedos. The women are holding long-stem flowers tied with trailing ribbons. The bride is partially visible towards the back of the group. A small group of people are seated off to the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125006/
[Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo]
Photograph of Elazar Tamayo and his wife, Lupe Tamayo, a Hispanic or Latino couple, visible from the waist up, standing in front of a building. Both appear to be in their late 50s or early 60s. He has salt-and-pepper hair and a moustache, and she has dark, wavy chin-length hair. She is wearing a sleeveless, open-collar cotton shirt, and he is wearing a button-front shirt with elbow-length sleeves. The 1976 Austin City Directory lists their residence as 1100 Lilly Terrace. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth125003/
[Exterior of Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of a side/rear exterior view of the Governor's Mansion looking northeast. The grounds and fire escape are shown, and the Capitol building is in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124026/
[Governor's Mansion]
Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the northeast. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124023/
[Main Building and baseball field at Rosewood Recreation Center]
Photograph of Rosewood Recreation Center, showing the historic Bertram-Huppertz home which became the clubhouse and bath house once the park was established for black citizens. The City acquired the 1875 home of Rudolph Bertram, and adjacent land at 2300 Rosewood Avenue, from his daugheter Emmie Bertram Huppertz (Mrs. Charles Huppertz) in 1928, for the purpose of creating a segregated park for the African American community. The development included a swimming pool for Negros. A grand stone staircase was constructed next to the building by the Civil Works Administration (C. W. A.) in 1934, leading down to a baseball field. This view shows the side of the two-story stone house, designed by architect Joseph Sherwin, with two bay windows on the first floor. The stone steps and ball field are visible in the foreground. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124745/
[Rosewood park bandstand]
Photograph of the empty Rosewood Park bandstand. The bandstand is surrounded by electric light posts, and a large tree offers shade to the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124742/
[Construction of the Rosewood Recreation Center, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of construction of the Negro Recreation Building in Rosewood Park. Three men stand on the back of a 1930s flat bed truck, as they use a crane mounted on the truck to lift half of a laminated wooden semi-circular arched truss into place. Two of the trusses are already completed in the background. The scaffolding used to support workers joining the trusses at their centers stands to the back of the truck. The trusses are joined by cross members, and the half truss erected to the left in the photograph is supported by a post, awaiting the other half of the truss. Two wooden saw horses and several stacks of bags of cement(?) are on the ground under and near the trusses. This photograph appeared in the 1944 Annual Report of the Austin Recreation Department, on page 48, labeled "New Gymnasium - Auditorium at Rosewood". texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124741/
[Children around USN sand sculpture at Sandcraft]
Photograph of a group of children around a sandbox with a sand sculpture of an anchor and the initials U.S.N. (United States Navy) imprinted over it at Sandcraft Park. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124747/
[Arch construction of the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park]
Photograph of the construction of an arch at the Negro Recreation Building, now Doris Miller Auditorium, in Rosewood Park. A man in a fedora sits astride a semi-circular laminated wooden truss, working on joining it at the center. This truss, and two completed trusses in the background are framed against the sky. The trusses are supported by posts, and temporarily joined together with wooden cross braces. The top of a wooden scaffold is visible in the lower right corner of the image. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124740/
[Group of World War I Army enlisted men eating beside tent rows]
Photograph of several enlisted men in what appear to be World War I U.S. infantry uniforms, some wearing sweaters and others thick shirts, eating at the end of a row of field tents. They are eating from metal mess kits, and the meal appears to include biscuits. Several of the men are wearing enlisted visor hats. Three of the men are identified in handwriting on the photograph: Walter, Clyde and George. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124748/
Rosewood Park for Negroes
Photograph of a group of black children watching a youth prepare to dive from the diving board into the public pool at Rosewood Park. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124744/
[Ariel view of Camp Swift including Headquarters, Post Finance Office, U. S. Post Office and north cantonment area]
Photograph of an aerial view of Camp Swift Headquarters, Finance Building, U. S. Post Office and a portion of the north cantonment area. The long wooden buildings are arranged parallel to each other, with the two-story Headquarters building in the center and the one-story Finance and Post Office buildings to each side. A flag pole with flag is visible in the foreground, and the cantonment area buildings are in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124749/
[Delta Sigma Theta members receive certificate]
Photograph of three women of the African-American sorority Delta Sigma Theta accept a certificate from the Travis County Historical Survey Commission on behalf of the Rosewood Recreation Association. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124746/
[Children swimming at Rosewood Park]
Photograph of a group of African-American children swimming and splashing at the Rosewood Park for Negroes swimming pool. Extensive use of swimming pool and facilities demonstrates success of this recreation center. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124743/
[A United States Army private and a woman in Austin's U.S.O. Club]
Photograph of a man and a woman seated at a wooden table at Austin's U.S.O. club. Each holds a bottle of 7up with a straw in it. The man is wearing a United States Army enlisted man's uniform, consisting of a jacket, shirt, tie and pants, and the woman is wearing a dress. There is an empty ashtray on the table in front of them. Austin's U.S.O. Club was located at 111-115 East 6th Street. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124165/
[Group of men on horseback, including Sheriff George S. Matthews, in front of Barnes and Company Grocers store]
Photograph of a group of men on horseback in front of Barnes and Company Grocers, including George S. Matthews, who served as Travis County Sheriff from 1902 to 1920. Prior to that Matthews was a deputy sheriff. The men are wearing suits and hats, and some are wearing sashes and ribbons. Horses and buggies are visible behind the men on horseback, just in front of the store. Two women on the store's front porch are wearing long skirts and large hats. The Barnes and Company grocery was a two-story brick building with a two-story front wooden porch, located at 123 West 7th Street at Colorado Street. The railing on the second porch floor has Maltese crosses and Masonic emblems on alternating metal balusters, and a painted wooden slat sign between the floors has a decorative pierced and pointed detail on the bottom side. The painter of the grocery's sign was Philip Bruckmann. The street in front of the store is dirt. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124162/
Court-House crowd [Group of Travis County officials standing on the steps of a stone building]
Photograph of a group of men wearing suits standing on the steps of what may be either the Travis County Courthouse or the Travis County Jail. The identified men, including Judge George Calhoun, District Clerk James P. Hart, and Deputy Sheriff Fred Peck, are all Travis County officials, but most of the group are unidentified. One of the the men is African American, and he appears to be the only person not wearing a suit coat. Several of the men are wearing ties -- including bow ties, string ties and neck ties -- and several are wearing vests and have watch chains. The building behind them is made of stone blocks, with rusticated blocks below and ashlar blocks above. There is a door in the center of the photograph, behind the men, and it is flanked by two double-hung sash windows. Inscribed below the image in ink is "Court-House crowd", and the identifications are written in either ink or pencil with arrows pointing to the identified person. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124161/
[President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Eleanor Roosevelt making a whistle-stop campaign appearance in Austin]
Photograph of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt standing behind a podium, on a platform, at the end of a train car as he addresses the large, night-time crowd assembled before him. His outstretched arms grasp the podium. Roosevelt is surrounded by a group of people including his wife, Eleanor, and possibly John Nance Garner ("Cactus Jack"), the vice-president. A neon sign above the train car reads, "PROSPERITY'S ROSE BLOOMS AGAIN WITH ROOSEVELT." The crowd is standing shoulder-to-shoulder. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124167/
[Woman standing with a bicycle with balloon tires]
Photograph of a woman dressed in a white blouse and hat as well as a dark skirt standing on a lawn in front of bushes with a bicycle with balloon tires. She has her right hand on the seat and her left hand on the handlebar. The bicycle is a turn-of-the-century safety model with a single gear and bicycle chain. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124160/
[Lobby and registration desk at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]
Photograph of the front desk and a portion of the lobby at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, located at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin. The registration area is made of wood, trimmed in a darker wood, and there are rows of key or letter boxes behind the desk. A rack filled with brochures sits on the desk. A large circular chandelier with shaded lamps hangs from the recessed lobby ceiling, just in front of the registration desk. Wooden, upholstered arm chairs sit in front of square columns on either side of the chandelier. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124168/
[Army enlisted men and women in civilian dress pose with leis at the Austin USO Club]
Photograph of a group of soldiers standing on a stage with women at the U.S.O. Club. All are wearing leis, and some of the soldiers wear white t-shirts with their uniform pants. Most of the women are wearing colorful cotton dresses or skirts. One couple is holding a U.S.O. flag. Two soldiers and one woman are standing on a ladder leading up to the stage. The people look like they are participants in a Hawaiian-themed party or show. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124164/
[Registration desk of the Stephen F. Austin Hotel]
Photograph of the registration desk or front desk at the Stephen F. Austin Hotel, located at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin. The desk sits on a dark marble base, topped by wooden panels and a dark counter. Two cubicles, formed by frosted glass and wooden posts, are at each end of the desk. Visible between them is a bank of key boxes or letter boxes. A ceiling fan and several commercial light fixtures hang from the recessed ceiling. There appears to be a hallway leading away from the left side of the reception desk. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124169/
[Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital]
Photograph of Anna Duval Bank's Spring Dance Recital with a row of five young girls, including Sharon Ward (second from the front) and Elizabeth Ann Curry (third from the front), wearing drummer costumes and sitting on wooden chairs. They are holding drums decorated with cartoon characters on their laps. Champ Howell, a young boy wearing a similar costume, sits at the end of the row. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124166/
[Treaty Oak]
Photograph of Treaty Oak on Baylor Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets in Austin shows the approximately 450-year-old tree's twisting branches and trunk. A low stone wall surrounds the tree, and sun dapples the grass beneath the branches. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124163/
[Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building]
Photograph of the Negro War Recreation Council Headquarters building, a concrete frame building located at 702-14 East Avenue (now I-35) in the former city market, repurposed as a bus depot and recreation building for African American soldiers. The windows are 6/6 configuration, many of which are decoratively painted with stars, patriotic shields and the letter "V". The 5-panel double wooden entrance doors, at the center of the photograph, each have painted or decal flags on the second horizontal panel from the top. The sign above the doors reads: "HEADQUARTERS, SUB-BUS STATION, NEGRO WAR RECREATION COUNCIL". To the left of the doors sits a 1930s-era sedan, and to the left of that is a ground-mounted sign that reads: "SUB-BUS STATION for COLORED SOLDIERS". There is a large flag pole, without a flag, visible to the rear of photograph. A wooden bench sits in front of the right building bay. There are several suitcases on the bench, and an overcoat appears to be draped over some of them. The market building was originally constructed as a 1935 Public Works Administration (PWA) project, which opened in June 1935. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth124815/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST