You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1890-1899
 Collection: Austin History Center General Collection Photographs
Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West

Brick laying crew, West Sixth Street, looking West

Date: 1890..1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the railroad crew laying bricks around rail lines on West 6th street looking west. Trolly and telegraph wires cross heavily overhead. A large sign on a building behind the crew reads "Phoenix Saloon / Ice Cold Lager Beer / Wines Liquor." A penciled caption in the lower left reads "Some Texas / sunshine."
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South

Tracks concreted, concrete crew in distance, Congress Avenue looking South

Date: 1890..1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the newly concreted railroad tracks on Congress Avenue looking south. The concrete crew is working on the tracks in the distance. Horses and carts are visible near in front of the shops, including Condit Davis & Fink and a bakery in the foreground.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion]

[Governor's Mansion]

Date: 1898
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the northeast.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Sewanee vs. [University of] Texas, 1899

Date: November 9, 1899
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Texas vs. Sewanee. Bleachers seat from 150 to 300. Clark Field. Spectators (almost entirely men) crowd the bleachers and the sidelines on both sides of the field. The University of Texas began its football program in 1893 managed by Albert Lefevra, playing two games in the fall and two in the spring. The following year, the team hired its first official head coach, R.D. Wentworth.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Governor's Mansion and grounds]

[Governor's Mansion and grounds]

Date: 1894
Creator: Wheelock, Charles B.
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's Mansion showing the east elevation from across the street from the roof of the temporary capitol. The columns and entablature are painted dark shades; the porch is extended; and the trees have matured. The picket fence surrounding the lot steps down for the variation in grade. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1894 was Governor James Stephen Hogg. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
The Governor's Mansion

The Governor's Mansion

Date: 1894
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the Texas Governor's mansion taken from the front lawn.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon

"Old Dismal" Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon

Date: June 7, 1895
Creator: Brooks
Description: Photograph of the Substitute Hook and Ladder Wagon and firemen outside of Texas State Capitol building taken from 11th Street and Colorado Street looking east. The Hook and Ladder Wagon is drawn by two horses.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

[Rogers Locomotive Works Locomotive]

Date: 1895~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a steam locomotive built by Rogers Locomotive works about 1875. One of the operators stands on the pilot attached to the engine by the front center coupler. Steam locomotives operated until the mid 20th century, when electric and diesel models took over. Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works, based in Paterson, New Jersey, was a popular 19th century manufacturer of railroad steam locomotives. This model is a 2-4-2 indicating its wheel-arrangement.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Austin High School Mid A. Grade, 1896

Date: April 13, 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of Austin High School Mid A. Grade class portrait on April 13, 1896. Austin High School opened in 1881. The class consists of 22 young women and five young men seated and standing in front of a school building at 11th Street and Rio Grande Street. There is a broken window behind the woman (Clara Whitteu) on the far left of the group, and a man stands nearly out of frame on the far left. From left to right (first row, seated): Gene Clark, Annie Spence, Mamie Heflybower, Lenora Patterson, Nellie Brown, Haysie Heflybower, Edna Slaughter, Molly Alison, George Decherd; (second row standing and seated): Clara Whitteu, Doree Durfee, LuEmma Raymond, Nan Turner, Kate Mayes, Willie Smith, Gracie Taylor, Laura Hirshfeld, Mary Perry; (last row, seated and standing): Ira Hamilton, Bessie Walsh, Zella Swancoat, Erin Crane, Lula Rose, Scott Key, Ansell Carouth, Will Orr, and Harry Bach.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[People in Boat on Colorado River]

[People in Boat on Colorado River]

Date: May 18, 1890
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of three women and two nicely dressed men in a boat at Mormon Falls on the Colorado River with Mt. Bonnell in the background.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT LAST