Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Description: Photograph of a man's hands working on an iron project. The hands are cracked, callused, and worn from decades of working with iron. They could belong to Fortunat Weigl or to one of his sons Lee or Herbert. Weigl Iron Works was established on Exposition Boulevard in 1922 by German immigrant and founder Fortunat Weigl and moved shortly afterwards to its location at 100 Red River. Fortunat was joined in business by his sons who operated the business after Fortunat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened at the 100 Red River location in honor of the building's history.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library