Creator: Austin Citizen Photograph
Description: Photograph of the disjointed thumb and rough, callused hand of an ironworker at the Weigl Iron Works. Weigl Iron works was opened in 1922 by German founder and immigrant Fortunat Weigl at Exposition Boulevard, but moved shortly after to its home on 100 Red River. The flood of June 5, 1935 hit the Weigl Iron Works hard. Fortunat was joined in the business by his sons Lee and Herbert, who ran the business after Fortnuat's death in 1973 until their retirement in 1977. In 1978, Iron Works BBQ opened to honor the Weigl family and their industry.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library