You limited your search to:

 Collection: American Lumberman: Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill Ponder Workers at the Bottom of the "Endless Chain"]
Photograph of three Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond workers guiding and loading logs onto the endless chain at the mill pond, where logs were pulled by the chain into the saw mill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204245/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Boilers]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company boiler room also showing an employee. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204242/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Saw Filer Shop]
Photograph of two Southern Pine Lumber Company workers filing circle saws in a saw filer's workshop. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204241/
[Logs being unloaded into the Mill Pond]
Photograph of timber logs being unloaded from log cars into the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond. This view is looking outward from the sawmill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204247/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Worker with Record Books]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company worker at a table with record books. It appears that he is placing a seal on a document or binding a book. This is likely in the Texarkana, Arkansas main office. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204240/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 3 at the Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill Pond]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 3 ready to unload logs into the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond. The photograph shows how mill pond workers would release the chained logs using poles. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204248/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Boilers - 2]
Photograph of the interior of a Southern Pine Lumber Company boiler room. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204244/
[Logs in the Southern Pine Lumber Company Mill Pond]
Photograph of logs in the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204249/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill view from the Mill Pond]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill from the mill pond. The photograph shows the endless chain extending from the mill into the pond, and the angled dock from which logs were dumped into the pond off of rail cars. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine, producing 250,000 board feet daily as well as 60,000 feet of lath. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204246/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Machine Shop]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company machine shop where steam locomotives were maintained. A locomotive is shown inside the shop. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204243/
0095_american-lumberman-sp244-1907
Photograph of texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204301/
[Corliss Steam Sawmill Engine]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill engine, a 24x48 500 horse power Filer & Stowell Corliss steam engine, with an 18-foot fly wheel. A company employee is depicted in the background. This is likely sawmill 1, or the yellow pine mill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204295/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 at Sunset]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 as seen from across the mill pond at sunset. This mill was built between December 1906 and April 1907. All sawmill equipment was in a 40x155 feet area and the lath mill annex was 28x60 feet. Although it was sometimes called the hardwood mill, it also cut pine. The mill's daily capacity during a daytime run was 60,000 feet of pine and 40,000 feet of hardwoods, with a day and night yellow pine capacity of 120,000 feet. Hardwoods were not cut at night. Sawmill 2 was dismantled in 1954. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204292/
[Mill Pond Detailed View]
Photograph of a detailed view of the Southern Pine Lumber Company mill pond with floating pine logs. The building in the background is possibly the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company office. Also shown are rail cars, including one from the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204291/
[Yellow Pine on the Band Saw Dock]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, or yellow pine mill, showing yellow pine logs on the band saw dock. This view is from the log end. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204297/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmil No. 1 from Mill Pond]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204290/
[A Log atop the Endless Chain]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company log pond from the top of the endless chain incline. The photograph shows how logs were attached to the chain and pulled upward from the mill pond and into the sawmill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204298/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior - North End]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the north end. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204294/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 2 Corliss Steam Engine]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 2 Corliss steam engine built by Filer & Stowell. Also shown are three company employees. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204299/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmill No. 1 Interior - South End]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 interior from the south end, showing mill machinery. It was also called the "yellow pine mill" because it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204296/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior - South End]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill from the south end, showing mill machinery. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204293/
[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple]
Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas. This view is looking from L. D. Gilbert's office, who at this time was the secretary and treasurer. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204435/
[Motor Car near Blix]
Photograph of a motor car near the big fill on the Lufkin branch of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad right of way near Blix station, western Angelina County, Texas. TSE general manager W. J. Raef drives the car. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204432/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 5 near Blix]
Photograph of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 near Blix with railroad track construction workers. A Lidgerwood sits in front of engine 5 and a Bucyrus steam shovel is seen in the background. This is in western Angelina County, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204431/
[L. D. Gilbert and Thomas Lewis Latane Temple]
Photograph of L. D. Gilbert in his office, Southern Pine Lumber Company's secretary and treasurer, and Southern Pine owner and founder Thomas Lewis Latane Temple in the background. This is the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204437/
[Bucyrus Steam Shovel near Blix - 2]
Photograph of Bucyrus steam shovel at work loading rail cars near Blix station, along the Texas South-Eastern Railroad right of way in western Angelina County, Texas. Note the structures in the background. Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 5 and a Lidgerwood is depicted in the background as well. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204430/
[L. D. Gilbert]
Photograph of Southern Pine Lumber Company secretary and treasurer L. D. Gilbert in his Texarkana, Arkansas office, looking through a suite of offices. Gilbert later served as director of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company in 1922 and 1929-1930. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204438/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Lumber Freight Train]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7 pulling a 14 car train of loaded lumber and tagged with Southern Pine Lumber Company signs. Sawmill 1, or the yellow pine mill, is shown in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204434/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Bookkeeper's Room]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company bookkeeper's room in the company's Texarkana, Arkansas office. Note the safe on the left. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204439/
[Thomas Lewis Latane Temple - 2]
Photograph of Thomas Lewis Latane Temple, the founder and owner of the Southern Pine Lumber Company and Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company, seen in the company's main office in Texarkana, Arkansas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204436/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company Right of Way]
Photograph of a section of the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company right of way, three miles west of Diboll. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204433/
[Filing and Tool Room in the Planing Mill]
Photograph of the saw filing and tool room in the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204405/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 at the Mill Pond]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company engine 7 with a train of log cars beside the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1 mill pond. The sawmill is shown in the background. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204402/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7]
Photograph of Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company's engine 7 and a train of twenty cars of pine logs. Engine 7 was a 4-6-0 Baldwin locomotive built new for the TSE in 1906. It was later sold to Sand & Gravel Company of Columbus, Texas in 1938. The TSE railroad was founded in 1900 by the same owners of Southern Pine Lumber Company and served the company's logging operations. It also provided passenger service from Diboll to Lufkin until 1942. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204401/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Hardwood Products]
Photograph of four wide boards produced by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. Depicted is red gum 2" x 30" x 14'; white oak 2" x 22" x 18'; red oak 2" x 25" x 14'; and bay poplar 2" x 32" x 14'. These are all hardwood products. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204407/
[Texas South-Eastern Railroad Engine 7 Log Train]
Photograph of nineteen log cars pulled by Texas South-Eastern Railroad engine 7, located at a switch west of the sawmill. This is possibly in Angelina County, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204400/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company White Oak Boards]
Photograph of four white oak boards manufactured by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The boards measure 2" x 19" x 16'. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204408/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - General View - 2]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill, viewed from atop the rough lumber shed. Here the lumber was dressed. The January 18, 1908 issue of American Lumberman reports that the planing mill had one 8x30 sizer, one 8x18 sizer, four 15-inch No. 2 combination matchers, six 9-inch matchers, one 10-inch outside molder, one 15-inch inside molder, six swing cutoff saws, two resaws, two edgers, one lath machine, and two blowers. It was 252 by 80 feet in area, employed 43 people and had a daily capacity of 275,000 feet of lumber. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204404/
[Quarter Sawed Oak Boards]
Photograph of six 18' quarter sawed oak boards produced by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204409/
[Saw Filing Room in Sawmill 1]
Photograph of the saw filing room in the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill 1, which was also called the yellow pine mill. Each saw tooth was sharpened one at a time. Notice the band saws on the floor and hanging from the ceiling. The saw filer was usually the highest paid worker in the mill other than management. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204406/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Dry Kilns from the South]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company dry kilns from the south, viewed from atop the rough lumber shed. The kilns were built by the National Dry Kiln Company of Indianapolis, Indiana. By 1907 the company had 12 kilns which held 544,400 feet of lumber. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204403/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Loading Dock - North End]
Photograph of a man pushing a loaded lumber cart along the north end of the loading dock next to St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company cars. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204215/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill and Loading Dock]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company loading dock and freight cars from the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway. The planing mill is seen in the background. The planing mill had a daily capacity of 250,000 board feet. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204212/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Main Office in Diboll]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company main office building in Diboll, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204211/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior and Workers - 2]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planning mill, machinery, and workers. The planing mill was 14,000 square feet with machinery made by Hall & Brown Wood Working Machinery Company, including the inside molder, outside molder, a double sizer, one 18-inch machine, three 15-inch machines, six 9-inch machines, two resaws and two edgers. The planing mill had a capacity of 250,000 daily board feet. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204217/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary Interior]
Photograph of the interior of the Southern Pine Lumber Company commissary in 1903. Stocking almost everything carried by a modern "superstore" as well as such items as fiddle strings, horse collars, coffins and caskets, it was a complete shopping center and mall under one roof. It also contained doctor offices, a drug store, and the post office. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204210/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill - General View]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planning mill interior showing lumber, machinery, and an employee. The planing mill was 14,000 square feet with machinery made by Hall & Brown Wood Working Machinery Company, including the inside molder, outside molder, a double sizer, one 18-inch machine, three 15-inch machines, six 9-inch machines, two resaws and two edgers. The planing mill had a capacity of 250,000 daily board feet. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204218/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company African-American Workers Loading Lumber into Freight Cars]
Photograph of African American lumbermen loading lumber into freight cars. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204214/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Worker at a Sawmill Steam Engine]
Photograph of a Southern Pine Lumber Company worker at a Corliss steam engine in one of the company sawmills. The engine was built by Filer & Stowell Company of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204219/
[Southern Pine Lumber Company Planing Mill Interior and Workers]
Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company planing mill, mill machinery, and mill workers. The planing mill was 14,000 square feet with machinery made by Hall & Brown Wood Working Machinery Company, including the inside molder, outside molder, a double sizer, one 18-inch machine, three 15-inch machines, six 9-inch machines, two resaws and two edgers. The planing mill had a capacity of 250,000 daily board feet. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth204216/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST