Description: Surveyor's transit, mounts with spring-action pin to tripod (1999.012.001b). Face is engraved with cardinal directions, with a star replacing North. Two bubble levels built into face. Degrees and minutes marked around circumference of face. Dial on side changes display on face to read numbers between 1 and 16. Manufacturer: T.F. Randolph, Cincinnati, Ohio. Patent date June 24, 1879. Scope mounts to compass body with screw pins from underneath. Needle tightens by screw action on "W" side of compass. Scope is mounted on a triangular support with single cross beam and center pivot. Focus knob moves but is tight. Surveying equipment belonged to Henry Hamilton Russell (1847-1932) , who came to Hallettsville, Texas from England before 1870. Russell was a surveyor for Lavaca County.
Contributing Partner: Fort Bend Museum