Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Description: Photograph of an SHSC (State Historical Survey Committee) marker commemorating the Central National Road started by the Republic of Texas in 1844. The road beagan at the mouth of the Elm Fork of the Trinity River, passed through Milam County and downtown Paris, Texas, where this marker is placed at Union Station west of the downtown area. Text of the marker reads: "Central National Road of the Republic of Texas. Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820's. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 passed a bill for a road east from Washington-on-the-Brazos to the Sabine River; 1841 legislation called for a road from the Nueces to the Red River and another from Austin to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The Central National Road was created in 1844, to reach from mouth of the Elm Fork on the Trinity to Kiomatia Crossing on the Red. It went down a main street in Paris, which was founded in 1844; near its south end was the 1841 John Neely Bryan home, around ...
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell