Date: November 13, 2008
Creator: Bell, Jim
Description: Photograph of a historical marker for the First United Methodist Church in downtown Paris, Texas, located at Lamar Avenue and 3rd NE Street. The marker was established by the Texas Historical Commission and reads: "First United Methodist Church of Paris The beginning of this congregation can be traced to 1843, when the Rev. James Graham organized the First Methodist Church in the area. It later took the name Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Meanwhile, another congregation, Lamar Avenue Methodist Church, was formed. After the destructive Paris fire of 1916, the two churches decided to form one central downtown congregation, and the merger became official in 1918. The Rev. Robert P. Shuler was appointed first pastor of the new congre-gation, now known as First United Methodist Church of Paris. (1985)"
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Jim Bell