You limited your search to:

 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Albert Farine Home
Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3285/
Automobiles, c. 1930
Automobiles parked by store fronts along Irving's Main Street, c. 1930. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3221/
Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank
Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3286/
Brick School Building Being Torn Down
The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3241/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre in Schulze's Car
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre (in back) sit in Schulze's new Hupmobile. The house in the background is Otis Brown's house on Iowa Street (today 327 S. O'Connor Road). Brown built the house in 1905. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3289/
Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as Children
Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as children, c. 1915. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder J. O. Schulze. John Brown was the son of the other town co-founder Otis Brown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3266/
Children in a Toy Car
Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3240/
Cotton Gin
Cotton gin, Irving, Texas texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3293/
Couple in Union Bower
An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3235/
Doug Lucas Family in Surrey
The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3243/
Doug Lucas Store
W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3244/
Dr. and Mrs. John Haley
Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3256/
Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts
Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3247/
Earl and John Brown and Charles Schulze as children, c. 1914
Earl Brown, John Brown, and Charles Schulze, Jr., c. 1914. The Brown boys were sons of Irving's co-founder, Otis Brown. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder, J. O. Schulze. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3265/
Earl Steele Delivering the Mail
Earl Steel delivers the mail in Irving in his horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle, c. 1910. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3228/
Early Irvingites on the Road
Early Irvingites take to the road, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3261/
Elm School Student Body
The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3276/
Essie and Joe Keeling Family
Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3270/
First St. Luke's Catholic Church
First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3290/
Hawks Chapel Methodist Church
The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3234/
Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day
Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3269/
Henry Britain Home
The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3264/
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3238/
Hezekiah Story Family
The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3236/
Howard-Beaufford House
Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3296/
Irving Cotton Gin
The cotton gin, located at Irving Boulevard and Britain, was dismantled about 1916. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3263/
Irving High School Football Team, 1924
Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3248/
Irving High School Girls' Basketball Team, 1922
Irving High School girls' basketball team, 1922. Left to right are: Mae Mitchell, Exie Cunningham, Delma Crowe, Wilma Harkey, unidentified, Lillian Embree texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3262/
Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916
Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3249/
Irving Index Workshop
This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3272/
Irving Motoring Enthusiasts
Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3268/
Irving School's Third Grade Class, c. 1930s
Mrs. White's third grade class, c. 1930s. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The building in this photograph was a three-story red brick building that was constructed in 1913. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3258/
Irving Student Body at the Water Tower
The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3242/
Irving Train Depot
Two men in front of the Irving train depot. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway built this depot in 1904. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3225/
J. B. Howard House
A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3298/
Jerry and Della Story
Jerry and Della Story. When the post office moved from the Kit community to the town of Irving in 1904, Jerry Story served as temporary postmaster. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3226/
Kit Store and Ike Story Family
Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3277/
Lloyd Smith and Brother
Lloyd and Bertie Smith, sons of William and Virginia Smith, area pioneers in the Union Bower community, c. 1894. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3233/
Lucas and Joffre Store
Lucas and Joffre Store was founded by W. D. "Doug" Lucas and Fred Joffre in 1906 on the west side of Irving's Main Street. Lucas and Joffre split, but W. D. Lucas maintained a store on Main Street until he died in 1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3281/
Lucas Children in Front of Car
Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3284/
Lucas Family
Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas Roberts, Henry Lucas, Doug Lucas, Charlie Lucas, Jack Lucas, and Etta Williams Roberts texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3250/
Main Street, Irving, Texas
This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3252/
Main Street Irving, Texas, c. 1904
West side of Main Street, Irving, Texas, shortly after the founding of the town in December 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3283/
Miss Hicks Millinery
Fannie Hicks ran a millinery store on Main Street during Irving's early years. She later married T. C. Haley, the proprietor of another Main Street business. In 1909, she closed her store. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3280/
Model T Ford
Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3239/
Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House
This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3254/
Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service
Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3246/
Musicians in the Union Bower Community
This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3232/
The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association
A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3267/
Old Gilbert Home
The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3278/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST