You limited your search to:

 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank

Date: 1947
Creator: unknown
Description: Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Old Gilbert Home

Old Gilbert Home

Date: 1882 - 1955
Creator: unknown
Description: The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Rock Island Survey Crew, c. 1902

Rock Island Survey Crew, c. 1902

Date: c. 1902
Creator: unknown
Description: In the fall of 1902, a Rock Island Railway survey crew was working a stretch of line between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth when two of the members decided to found a town along the route of the track. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown finished their work with the railroad and remained in the area, where they founded the town of Irving in December 1903. C. P. Schulze, Jr, brother of J. O. Schulze is on the far left.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Train at the Irving Depot

Train at the Irving Depot

Date: c. 1905
Creator: unknown
Description: Train at the Irving Depot. Completed in 1903, the site of the Chicago Rock Island & Gulf railroad depot also served as the location of the 1903 lot sale that founded Irving.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
J. B. Howard House

J. B. Howard House

Date: c. 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Howard-Beaufford House

Howard-Beaufford House

Date: c. 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
W. D. Lucas Home at 127 Hastings Street

W. D. Lucas Home at 127 Hastings Street

Date: c. 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: Home of W. D. Lucas and family at 127 S. Hastings. The house was built in 1907. W. D. Lucas was the proprietor of a general merchandise store from 1906 until his death in 1931.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Sunday Afternoon at the River

Sunday Afternoon at the River

Date: c. 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: Irving was founded where the West Fork and the Elm Fork converge to form the Trinity River. During the early part of the twentieth century, the locals made day trips and weekend jaunts to enjoy nature along the forks of the river.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
First St. Luke's Catholic Church

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre in Schulze's Car

C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre in Schulze's Car

Date: c. 1912
Creator: unknown
Description: C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre (in back) sit in Schulze's new Hupmobile. The house in the background is Otis Brown's house on Iowa Street (today 327 S. O'Connor Road). Brown built the house in 1905.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST