You limited your search to:

 Language: English
 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Kit Store and Ike Story Family

Date: c. 1896
Creator: unknown
Description: Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Automobiles, c. 1930

Automobiles, c. 1930

Date: c. 1930
Creator: unknown
Description: Automobiles parked by store fronts along Irving's Main Street, c. 1930.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Irving Train Depot

Irving Train Depot

Date: c. 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: Two men in front of the Irving train depot. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway built this depot in 1904.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
W. D. Lucas Store - Interior

W. D. Lucas Store - Interior

Date: 1919
Creator: unknown
Description: W. D. "Doug" Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. In this photo, he is seen behind the counter.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Earl Steele Delivering the Mail

Earl Steele Delivering the Mail

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Earl Steel delivers the mail in Irving in his horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle, c. 1910.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Doug Lucas Store

Doug Lucas Store

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Robinson's Drug Store

Robinson's Drug Store

Date: c. 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: Major T. G. Robinson opened the Palace Drug Store in Irving's first brick building in 1906. In 1908, he added a soda fountain to the establishment. The store was in business until 1939, when Major Robinson retired.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
W. L. Smith Store

W. L. Smith Store

Date: c. 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Dr. and Mrs. John Haley

Dr. and Mrs. John Haley

Date: c. 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Story Feed Store

Story Feed Store

Date: c. 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: The Story livery stable and feed store was located just west of the corner of Main and First (Irving Blvd.) streets during Irving's early years.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 NEXT LAST