You limited your search to:

 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Old Gilbert Home

Old Gilbert Home

Date: 1882/1955
Creator: unknown
Description: The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Hezekiah Story Family

Hezekiah Story Family

Date: 1890~
Creator: unknown
Description: The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Lloyd Smith and Brother

Lloyd Smith and Brother

Date: 1894~
Creator: unknown
Description: Lloyd and Bertie Smith, sons of William and Virginia Smith, area pioneers in the Union Bower community, c. 1894.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Rock Island Survey Crew, c. 1902

Rock Island Survey Crew, c. 1902

Date: 1902~
Creator: unknown
Description: In the fall of 1902, a Rock Island Railway survey crew was working a stretch of line between the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth when two of the members decided to found a town along the route of the track. J. O. Schulze and Otis Brown finished their work with the railroad and remained in the area, where they founded the town of Irving in December 1903. C. P. Schulze, Jr, brother of J. O. Schulze is on the far left.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Henry Britain Home

Henry Britain Home

Date: 1903~
Creator: unknown
Description: The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Howard-Beaufford House

Howard-Beaufford House

Date: 1904~
Creator: unknown
Description: Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
J. B. Howard House

J. B. Howard House

Date: 1904~
Creator: unknown
Description: A lady standing on a porch at the Howard home at 318 Iowa (now O’Connor Rd.), believed to be Irving's oldest existing house, built in 1904.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Jerry and Della Story

Jerry and Della Story

Date: 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: Jerry and Della Story. When the post office moved from the Kit community to the town of Irving in 1904, Jerry Story served as temporary postmaster.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Main Street Irving, Texas, c. 1904

Main Street Irving, Texas, c. 1904

Date: 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: West side of Main Street, Irving, Texas, shortly after the founding of the town in December 1903.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
W. L. Smith Store

W. L. Smith Store

Date: 1904~
Creator: unknown
Description: W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST