You limited your search to:

 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Albert Farine Home
Albert Farine home, constructed in 1906 and burned in the 1960s. The Farine family came to Texas in 1855 as part of the La Reunion colony and settled in the area that is now Irving in 1859. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3285/
Automobiles, c. 1930
Automobiles parked by store fronts along Irving's Main Street, c. 1930. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3221/
Cotton Gin
Cotton gin, Irving, Texas texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3293/
Essie and Joe Keeling Family
Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3270/
First St. Luke's Catholic Church
First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3290/
Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day
Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3269/
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3238/
Kit Store and Ike Story Family
Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3277/
Lucas Family
Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas Roberts, Henry Lucas, Doug Lucas, Charlie Lucas, Jack Lucas, and Etta Williams Roberts texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3250/
Seiber Store - Interior
Henry Alvis Seiber owned this general store along Main Street in Irving, Texas, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3297/
W. D. Lucas with Children
W. D. "Doug" Lucas poses with his three children: Howard, Roy (baby), and Lorene. W. D. Lucas owned a general store on Main Street in Irving from 1906 to 1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3260/
West Side of Main Street, c. 1908
Main Street, Irving, Texas, c. 1908. West side of Main St. between First St. (Irving Blvd.) and Second St. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3294/
Brick School Building Being Torn Down
The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The district built a three-story brick school building in 1913. The building, which came to be known as "Old Red," housed the entire student body for a number of years. It later became the elementary school and then the administration building. It was torn down in 1959. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3241/
Otis Brown's First House in Irving
Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3287/
Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank
Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3286/
PTA Officers, 1936
PTA officers for the Irving public school system in 1936. Seated left to right: Mrs. F. N. Broach, Mrs. H. W. Simmons, Mrs. W. H. George, Mrs. Edgar Davis, Mrs. Ralph Barr, Mrs. Clyde Kirkpatrick, and Mrs. W. R. Duckworth; standing left to right: Mrs. A. C. Bolden, Mrs. R. L. Kirkpatrick, School Supt. A. S. Johnston, Mrs. Johnston, and Mrs. Ben Hurwitz. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3224/
Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House
This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3254/
The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association
A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3267/
Irving School's Third Grade Class, c. 1930s
Mrs. White's third grade class, c. 1930s. The Irving Independent School District was established in 1909. The building in this photograph was a three-story red brick building that was constructed in 1913. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3258/
Lucas Children in Front of Car
Lorene Lucas (Looper) flanked by her brothers Howard and Ray. These were the children of W. D. Lucas, who was a long-time owner of a general merchandise store on Main St. The three pose in front of Lorene's new car in 1929. In an interview, Lorene said that the dress she was wearing was blue and yellow and matched the blue car with its yellow trim. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3284/
Irving High School Football Team, 1924
Irving High School football team, district champs, 1924. Back row: Vernon Thompkens, Lynn Harkey, Coach Fred Nance, Noel Toney, and Edwin Metker. Front row: Marshall “Bobby” Anderson, Harland Cunningham, Julius Toney, Eugene Grider, Ralph Plumber, J. L. Crosby, John Britain, and W. S. Fields, with water boy John Steele texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3248/
Irving High School Girls' Basketball Team, 1922
Irving High School girls' basketball team, 1922. Left to right are: Mae Mitchell, Exie Cunningham, Delma Crowe, Wilma Harkey, unidentified, Lillian Embree texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3262/
Doug Lucas Store
W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3244/
Pierce and Ramsey Store - Interior
Grover Pierce and Hershel Ramsey operated a grocery store along Irving's Main Street. In this photo, Grover Pierce is behind the counter wearing a white hat. Hershel Ramsey is in the chair on the right. The woman in black in the center of the photo is Fannie Tompkins Haley, the wife of Tom Haley. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3282/
W. D. Lucas Store - Interior
W. D. "Doug" Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. In this photo, he is seen behind the counter. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3227/
Irving Cotton Gin
The cotton gin, located at Irving Boulevard and Britain, was dismantled about 1916. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3263/
Irving High School Graduating Class of 1916
Graduating class of Irving High School, 1916. First row, front to back, are: Osten Cushenberry, Frank Haley, and Roy Lively. Second row, front to back, are: Theo Dehaes, Inez Moore, Homer Duckworth. Third row, front to back, are: Susie Clark, Velma Duckworth, and Roy Miller. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3249/
Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as Children
Charles Schulze, Jr., and John Brown as children, c. 1915. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder J. O. Schulze. John Brown was the son of the other town co-founder Otis Brown. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3266/
Early Irvingites on the Road
Early Irvingites take to the road, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3261/
Irving Student Body at the Water Tower
The student body of the Irving Independent School District gathers at the water tower, which was in the middle of the intersection of Main and First streets (Irving Blvd.), to celebrate growing to a district of 500 students, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3242/
Model T Ford
Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3239/
Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service
Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3246/
Pierce's Jitney Service
Prior to Irving receiving bus service in 1930, several Irvingites operated jitney services to transport locals from Irving to downtown Dallas. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated one of the first of these services. In this photo, she posed around the jitney with her customers, c. 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3245/
Earl and John Brown and Charles Schulze as children, c. 1914
Earl Brown, John Brown, and Charles Schulze, Jr., c. 1914. The Brown boys were sons of Irving's co-founder, Otis Brown. Charles Schulze, Jr., was the nephew of town co-founder, J. O. Schulze. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3265/
Children in a Toy Car
Howard and Lorene Lucas play in their early toy automobile, c. 1913. The children's father, Doug Lucas, ran a general merchandise store in Irving from 1906-1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3240/
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre in Schulze's Car
C. P. Schulze, Sr., Otis Brown, and Fred Joffre (in back) sit in Schulze's new Hupmobile. The house in the background is Otis Brown's house on Iowa Street (today 327 S. O'Connor Road). Brown built the house in 1905. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3289/
Irving Motoring Enthusiasts
Early Irvingites prepare for a motor outing, c. 1912. On the left is the Schulze family automobile and on the right is the Robinson family car. The boy on the running board is Joe Williamson. Behind the wheel is Percy Schulze and next to him is his wife, Virginia. In the other vehicle, in no particular order are, Mr. T. G. Robinson, Mr. Williamson, May Williamson, Mrs. T. G. Robinson, Ward Robinson, and Mrs. Marsh. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3268/
Main Street, Irving, Texas
This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3252/
Tom Haley Home
William Haley and his family moved to the area during the late 1850s. They settled northwest of the future town site of Irving in what became known as the Estelle community. Tom Haley, William's son, farmed a large piece of land his father had given him as a wedding gift. When his children became of school age, he decided that it would be more convenient for his wife and kids to stay in Irving during the school year. This is a photo of the home the family rented in town. At the fence on the left is Vera Haley (Anderson) and one of her sisters Bertha Haley (Gleghorn), c. 1911. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3255/
Couple in Union Bower
An unidentified couple enjoys an afternoon in the Union Bower community, c. 1910. Union Bower was a farming community that today is part of eastern Irving. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3235/
Doug Lucas Family in Surrey
The Doug Lucas family in a surrey. Doug Lucas holds his daughter Lorene while his wife holds their son Howard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3243/
Dr. and Mrs. John Roberts
Dr. John Roberts and his wife Etta Williams Roberts in their horse-drawn buggy. Dr. Roberts was one of Irving's first physicians. He died at the age of 35 in 1918. The couple had three sons, one of whom became a physician and was instrumental in the development of Irving's first hospital during the 1950s and 1960s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3247/
Earl Steele Delivering the Mail
Earl Steel delivers the mail in Irving in his horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle, c. 1910. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3228/
Irving Index Workshop
This building served as the home of the "Irving Index" in Irving. It was built behind the home of the newspaper's owner, R. M. Hudson. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3272/
Musicians in the Union Bower Community
This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3232/
R. M. Hudson Home
R. M. Hudson began publishing the "Irving Index" in December 1903. He worked from his home in Dallas for five years. In 1908, he moved into this house in Irving. Hudson and his wife Mary had four children. Youngest son Tom can be seen at the fence in this photo. R. M. Hudson published the "Irving Index" from 1903 until 1916. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3274/
R. M. Hudson Home and Family
R. M. Hudson operated Irving's first newspaper the "Irving Index." He ran the paper from 1903 until 1916. His home was on the northwest corner of Fourth and Jefferson streets. He is pictured here in front of his house with his wife Mary and daughter Veda. Not pictured are their sons Robert, Andrew, and Tom. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3273/
Robinson's Drug Store
Major T. G. Robinson opened the Palace Drug Store in Irving's first brick building in 1906. In 1908, he added a soda fountain to the establishment. The store was in business until 1939, when Major Robinson retired. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3251/
Story Feed Store
The Story livery stable and feed store was located just west of the corner of Main and First (Irving Blvd.) streets during Irving's early years. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3257/
Sunday Afternoon at the River
Irving was founded where the West Fork and the Elm Fork converge to form the Trinity River. During the early part of the twentieth century, the locals made day trips and weekend jaunts to enjoy nature along the forks of the river. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3291/
FIRST PREV 1 2 NEXT LAST