You limited your search to:

 Language: English
 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Automobiles, c. 1930
Automobiles parked by store fronts along Irving's Main Street, c. 1930. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3221/
Kit Store and Ike Story Family
Postmaster Isaac Henry “Ike” Story sits in front of the post office and general store for the community of Kit. The sign on top of the building spells out the name of Kit, but with an eye instead of an "i". People in photo: Nancy Story (wife), Ike Story, Lillie Leona Story Kinney (daughter), Opal Elizabeth Kinney (granddaughter), and Sallie Jane Story Bell (daughter). The Kit community was about a mile east of where Irving would be established in 1903. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3277/
Otis Brown's First House in Irving
Otis Brown built the first house in Irving in 1903. He and his wife Netta lived there until they built a larger home in 1905. Brown sold this home to Chaney Miller. Miller had it enlarged, and he or a member of his family lived in the house until it was torn down in the 1970s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3287/
Bill Gilbert at Irving State Bank
Two men shaking hands. Bill Gilbert (left) greeting customer Albert Farine in Irving State Bank's new building, 1947. The Merchants and Planters Bank was organized in 1907. Chaney and Fletcher Miller took over operation of the bank and in 1908 and had it chartered as the Irving State Bank. It later became Irving Bank and Trust Company and remained in business along Main Street until 1975. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3286/
The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association
A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3267/
Irving High School Girls' Basketball Team, 1922
Irving High School girls' basketball team, 1922. Left to right are: Mae Mitchell, Exie Cunningham, Delma Crowe, Wilma Harkey, unidentified, Lillian Embree texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3262/
Doug Lucas Store
W. D. Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. After changing locations twice, he settled in this two-story brick building in about 1920. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3244/
Pierce and Ramsey Store - Interior
Grover Pierce and Hershel Ramsey operated a grocery store along Irving's Main Street. In this photo, Grover Pierce is behind the counter wearing a white hat. Hershel Ramsey is in the chair on the right. The woman in black in the center of the photo is Fannie Tompkins Haley, the wife of Tom Haley. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3282/
W. D. Lucas Store - Interior
W. D. "Doug" Lucas operated a general store on Irving's Main Street from 1906 until 1931. In this photo, he is seen behind the counter. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3227/
Earl Steele Delivering the Mail
Earl Steel delivers the mail in Irving in his horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle, c. 1910. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3228/
Robinson's Drug Store
Major T. G. Robinson opened the Palace Drug Store in Irving's first brick building in 1906. In 1908, he added a soda fountain to the establishment. The store was in business until 1939, when Major Robinson retired. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3251/
Story Feed Store
The Story livery stable and feed store was located just west of the corner of Main and First (Irving Blvd.) streets during Irving's early years. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3257/
W. D. Lucas Home at 127 Hastings Street
Home of W. D. Lucas and family at 127 S. Hastings. The house was built in 1907. W. D. Lucas was the proprietor of a general merchandise store from 1906 until his death in 1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3292/
Dr. and Mrs. John Haley
Dr. John Haley was one of the Irving area's earliest physicians. The Haley family arrived in the area in the late 1850s. John was born in 1866. He was a teacher for a time, but after his first wife died, he returned to school and then entered the medical profession. He served as Irving's mayor from 1927 until his death in 1932. He is pictured here with his second wife, Anna Good Haley, in 1906. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3256/
Irving Train Depot
Two men in front of the Irving train depot. The Chicago, Rock Island & Gulf Railway built this depot in 1904. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3225/
Lucas and Joffre Store
Lucas and Joffre Store was founded by W. D. "Doug" Lucas and Fred Joffre in 1906 on the west side of Irving's Main Street. Lucas and Joffre split, but W. D. Lucas maintained a store on Main Street until he died in 1931. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3281/
Miss Hicks Millinery
Fannie Hicks ran a millinery store on Main Street during Irving's early years. She later married T. C. Haley, the proprietor of another Main Street business. In 1909, she closed her store. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3280/
Sowers School, 1906
The Sowers School served the Sowers community, located about a mile west of Irving, near the present-day intersection of Pioneer and Belt Line Road. The teachers pictured are John Roberts (later Dr. John Roberts) and Miss Mary Ruth Wespey. The school was one large room, and the boys carried in drinking water from a well a quarter of a mile away. Classes were held from 9:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Top row: Allie Lanotte, Etta Eaton, unknown, Bess Kimble, Sally Haley, Ethel Barton, unknown, Ruby Slater, Nancy Slater, Mary Ruth Wespey, Ethel Tompkins, Jeanie Barton, John Roberts, unknown, Mabel Gilbert, Sam Mitchell, unknown, Thurston Jernigan, Hayde Gilbert, Kimble, Clay Gilbert, Tom Taylor, and Charlie Wilson Middle row: Nora Lusk, unknown, Marie Lanotte, Claudie Barton, Lillie Williams, Stella Slater, Minnie Moore, Moore, Jettie Rucker, Sitton, George Wilson, unknown, Fannie Slater, Grider Taylor, N. Jernigan, Bill Bietendorf, Paul Gilbert (with white glove), Ed Avrett, Jess Moore, Oscar Tompkins, Allen Avrett, Willie Smith, Arthur Smith, Carrie Lusk, Pauline Isadore, Ernestine Isadore, and Alice Lusk Bottom row: Most are unidentified, but some are Lawrence Ranft, Sidney Ranft, Dan Barton, Dan Gilbert, Floyd Eaton, Winnie Eaton, Adolph Bietendorf (with bat), W.B. “Bill” Gilbert (holding catcher’s mitt) texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3275/
Howard-Beaufford House
Constructed in May 1904 as the home of Joseph B. Howard and his wife, Susan, it stood on 2.5 acres just south of Irving's city limits. Eugene and May Ann Beaufford bought the property in 1919. They operated a truck farm on the acreage. They later divided the land among their children. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3296/
W. L. Smith Store
W. L. Smith built one of the first business establishements in Irving in 1904. However, in 1905, he sold the building to the Miller brothers, who opened a general store. Chaney Miller, one of the proprietors of Miller Brothers, served as Irving's second mayor and was Justice of the Peace for the precinct from the 1920s-1940s. He had also been a Dallas County Commissioner during the 1890s. His brother, Fletcher Miller, served as mayor in the 1920s before moving to Dallas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3253/
Old Gilbert Home
The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth3278/