You limited your search to:

 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Earl Steele Delivering the Mail

Earl Steele Delivering the Mail

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Earl Steel delivers the mail in Irving in his horse-drawn two-wheeled vehicle, c. 1910.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Early Irvingites on the Road

Early Irvingites on the Road

Date: c. 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: Early Irvingites take to the road, c. 1915.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Elm School Student Body

Elm School Student Body

Date: c. 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: The Elm school served the farming community know as Elm which was located just north of Irving. Pictured in the back row left to right are: teacher Mrs. Holland, Lee Metker, Mary Farine, Ruth Holt, Lucy Parker, Sadie Watkins, Henry Farine, and Maudie Carroll. Next row: Lucy Farine, John Farine, Gus Story, Clyde Allen, Arthur Farine, Lillian Works, and Lela Toler. Next row: Ora Seat, Bill Metker, Foy Holt, Irene Nichols, Thelma Works, and Ann Carroll. Front row: Howard Parker, Fred Story, Milton Holt, Roy Bailey, and Bertha Farine.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Essie and Joe Keeling Family

Date: c. 1911 - 1912
Creator: unknown
Description: Essie and Joe Keeling were from two early Irving families. They married in 1910. The couple had three children. Here the couple is pictured with two of their children, Helen on the right and Weldon on the left, c. 1911-1912.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
First St. Luke's Catholic Church

First St. Luke's Catholic Church

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: First St. Luke’s Catholic Church, built in 1904. Located on the corner of Second and Jefferson, this building was used until 1920. Several French families, many from the defunct La Reunion colony, founded the parish. A parish list from 1890 includes the names of DeHaes, Chassang, Beaufford, and Boinard. Prior to 1904, Masses were held in private homes and later moved to the Lively School House on Britain Street. The city founders donated the lot for this church.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Hawks Chapel Methodist Church

Hawks Chapel Methodist Church

Date: c. 1907
Creator: unknown
Description: The Union Bower community was settled during the 1880s. It was located about north and east of the town site of Irving, which was founded in 1903. The Reverend W. E. Hawks of Dallas, who had been preaching in the Union Bower area since 1887, directed the building of a church in the community. In 1907, Hawks Chapel Methodist Church opened. In this photo, members of the congregation pose in front of the church.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day

Helen Keeling Sale on Her Wedding Day

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Helen Keeling Sale on her wedding day. Helen Keeling, daughter of early Irvingites Joe and Essie Keeling, is pictured on the day she married Robert Sale.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Henry Britain Home

Henry Britain Home

Date: c. 1903
Creator: unknown
Description: The home of Henry W. Britain, the rancher who sold eighty acres to J.O. Schulze and Otis Brown for the original Irving townsite. The land sold for $30 an acre. This home was located near Nursery and Perry roads. Further to the south, Britain watered his livestock at the pond near the intersection of Nursery and Irving Blvd. The Britain family came to this area in 1859. Dave, Lee, Eunice, and Henry W. Britain are among those in the photo.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Hezekiah and Elizabeth Story. The Story family came from Illinois to the area that would later become Irving in 1855.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Hezekiah Story Family

Hezekiah Story Family

Date: c. 1890
Creator: unknown
Description: The Story family was one of the pioneer families to the region. Here Hezekiah Story is pictured with his family.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives