You limited your search to:

 Collection: O.D. and Estelle Bates Collection
Lucas Family

Lucas Family

Date: unknown
Creator: unknown
Description: Lucas family left to right: Mahala Williams Lucas Roberts, Henry Lucas, Doug Lucas, Charlie Lucas, Jack Lucas, and Etta Williams Roberts
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Main Street, Irving, Texas

Main Street, Irving, Texas

Date: c. 1912
Creator: unknown
Description: This photo is taken looking north up Main Street. The town's water tower was over a well in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and First Street (today Irving Blvd.). Main Street dead-ended into the railroad depot. The depot can be seen behind the water tower.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Main Street Irving, Texas, c. 1904

Main Street Irving, Texas, c. 1904

Date: 1904
Creator: unknown
Description: West side of Main Street, Irving, Texas, shortly after the founding of the town in December 1903.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Miss Hicks Millinery

Miss Hicks Millinery

Date: 1906
Creator: unknown
Description: Fannie Hicks ran a millinery store on Main Street during Irving's early years. She later married T. C. Haley, the proprietor of another Main Street business. In 1909, she closed her store.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Model T Ford

Model T Ford

Date: c. 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: Model T Ford Pickup. In the vehicle are W. D. Lucas's sons Howard and Ray, c. 1915
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Mrs. B. L. Pierce's House

Date: c. 1933
Creator: unknown
Description: This house was located at the northeast corner of Second and Ohio streets. Shown standing on the steps is Mrs. B. L. Pierce. Prior to Irving's receiving bus service in 1930, she operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas for Irvingites. The man on the left is Grover Pierce, the little girl is Doris Jean Taylor, and the woman in the fur coat is Mrs. Buck Mitchell.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Mrs. Pierce's Jitney Service

Date: c. 1915
Creator: unknown
Description: Before Irving received bus service, one of the ways to travel to downtown Dallas was on one of the local jitney services. Mrs. B. L. Pierce operated a jitney service from Irving to Dallas and back. Here she poses with some of her customers, c. 1915.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Musicians in the Union Bower Community

Date: c. 1910
Creator: unknown
Description: This group of musicians played for square dances in the Union Bower community. Dances were held in the fall and winter because the weather was too hot during the summer. Left to right are: Tom Owens, Earl Steele, Lillie Owens, and Tom Wright. Lloyd Smith called the square dances, but is not in the picture. Union Bower was a farming community on the eastern edge of the city of Irving. The community was established about 1880.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

The Northwest Dallas County Civic Association

Date: c. 1931
Creator: unknown
Description: A group of citizens from northwest Dallas County banded together in 1931 to form the Northwest Dallas County Civic Association. Its purpose was to promote the development of the northwest section of Dallas County. They presented the interests of Irving and the surrounding area to county and state governments. They were particularly concerned with road improvment in this area of the county. The group is standing in front of Irving's first city hall. From left to right, starting with the man in the hat, are: Lewis Hancock; the boy is F. M. Gilbert, Jr.; his father, Dr. F. M. Gilbert, Sr.; W. B. Gilbert; Frank Haley; C. P. Caldwell; W. P. Gandy; T. A. Jasper; R. E. Fulton; James Poppelwell; Albert Farine; J. E. Van Horn, Sr.; and R. J. (Leo) Byrd. The photograph in the Bates Collection from which this was scanned was missing part of the left and right sides. The original photograph also included Tom Peters on the far left (to the left of Lewis Hancock), Bob Stewart, second from the right (he is partially visible behind R. J. Byrd), and C. P Schulze on the far right.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives
Old Gilbert Home

Old Gilbert Home

Date: 1882 - 1955
Creator: unknown
Description: The D. W. Gilbert home stood from 1882 to 1955 near the northwest corner of Story and Grauwyler Roads. Dr. D. W. Gilbert was one of the first physicians to practice in the Irving area. In addition to his work as a physician, he operated a 1,500-acre farm and orchard and a dairy. He also owned farmland in Euless, Shady Grove, and Bear Creek.
Contributing Partner: Irving Archives