San Antonio Light
What's Inside this Collection.
A daily newspaper, the San Antonio Light published its first issue on January 20th, 1881. The Light was originally published as a daily newspaper in the office of the Texas Sun from 1881 to 1883, after which time publication management transferred to Tom B. Johnson and A.W. Gifford. Three Johnson brothers ran the newspaper, which was by then titled the Daily Light. After changing hands in 1906 and again in 1911, the newspaper was renamed the Light and Gazette. In different incarnations, the newspaper was continually published until 1992, when the Hearst Corporation announced that it would close the Light unless it could find a buyer for the property in which the Light was housed. The paper ceased publication shortly after this announcement.