Date: July 7, 1924
Creator: Van Devender, S.C.
Description: When Magnolia was a thriving port in the 1870s, meeting the steamboats was a typical activity of the day. Now, the old townsite, situated on a high bluff above the Trinity River, is covered by brush and weeds. Large concrete blocks are the only visible signs left of the river trade that once tagged the town “Little St. Louis of the Trinity”. Named for a large Magnolia tree on the bank of the river, Magnolia was founded by settlers who moved there from Ft. Houston, located near Palestine, in Anderson County. After the danger of Indian attacks lessened, settlers began making land claims at Magnolia. During its heyday, the little town claimed 33 residential and business blocks with streets 60 feet wide. A drugstore, law office, blacksmith, shop, tavern, cotton gin, general merchandise and hotel made up the businesses. There was a one-room schoolhouse and a Methodist church. The 800 odd citizens pointed with pride to the Hagood Hotel, reputed to be the finest between Shreveport and San Antonio. W.A. Hagood, owner of the two-story structure, advertised board and lodging for a man and two horses at $2 a night. Guests who signed the register of the hotel included General ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library