You limited your search to:

  Partner: Palestine Public Library
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2006
[John H Reagan and Confederate States Loan]
John H. Reagan served in many political roles during his lifetime, including: Probate Judge in Henderson County Texas from 1846 - 1847, Representative in the Texas Legislature from 1847-1848, District Judge in Texas from 1852-1857, U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1857-1861, Representative from the Texas Provisional Congress Confederate States of America in 1861, Postmaster General of the Confederacy from 1861-1865, Secretary of the Treasury of the Confederacy in 1865, Delegate to the Convention Framing the Constitution of Texas in 1874-75, once again as U.S. Congressman from Texas from 1875-1887, Senator from Texas in the U.S. Congress from 1887-1891, and last but not least, Chairman of the Railroad Commission in Texas from 1891-1902. He was also among the original commissioners that organized the Texas State Historical Association. He died in March 1905 in Anderson County Texas and is buried in the East Hill section of the Palestine City Cemetery. The certificate is one of the certificates he issued while serving as Postmaster General of the Confederacy. It assigns John Caudle as Postmaster of the Union Mills Post Office, located in Havanna County, Virginia. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14498/
[Confederate States Loan]
A bond dated July 1872, guaranteeing "the sum of Fifty Dollars with Interest to be paid the the bearer of this bond, at the seat of government or such place of deposit as may be appointed by the Secretary of the Treasury". It has John H. Reagan, Postmaster General of the Confederacy's photograph on it. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14499/
[Palestine, Tx.]
Panoramic View of Palestine Texas circa 1900's. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11915/
[Original Platmap of the City of Palestine, TX]
In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Palestine to serve as seat for the newly established Anderson County. James R. Fulton, Johnston Shelton and William Bigelow were hired by the first Anderson County commissioners to survey the surrounding land and lay out a town site, consisting of a central courthouse square and the surrounding 24 blocks. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11916/
[Bonner Frizzell]
Portrait of a man thought to be Bonner Frizzell, long time historian who resided in Palestine, TX during the early 1900s. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11917/
[Palestine School Children]
Panoramic Photograph of the children enrolled in the Palestine School District circa 1915. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11918/
[Mary Kate Hunter]
Born just outside Palestine in 1866 to Nathaniel and Jennie (Beeson) Hunter, Mary Kate Hunter played a significant role in recording, promoting and preserving the history of Palestine and Anderson County. Educated at Palestine Female Academy and Sam Houston Normal Institute, she studied piano with classical musicians across the United States and in Germany, and taught piano to countless Palestine children. As a clubwoman, she was a charter member of the self-culture club in Palestine, organized in 1894; served as a delegate to the First Annual Meeting of the Texas Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1898; organized a local chapter of the Women’s National Foundation in 1921 for the preservation and study of local history; and founded and led the Fort Houston Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. A supporter of voting rights for women, Mary Kate Hunter organized and was first President of the Palestine Equal Suffrage Association, and held statewide office in the Texas Equal Suffrage Association in 1915-16. In Addition to her civic Duties, Hunter also was a published poet, Editor of a local society journal and board member of the Texas State Library. She extensively researched the History of Palestine and Anderson County and conducted dozens of oral history interviews with early area residents. At her death in 1945, she bequeathed her voluminous collection of material to the Palestine Public Library, where it remains in use as an important record of Anderson County History. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11919/
[Map of Magnolia Texas]
When Magnolia was a thriving port in the 1870s, meeting the steamboats was a typical activity of the day. Now, the old townsite, situated on a high bluff above the Trinity River, is covered by brush and weeds. Large concrete blocks are the only visible signs left of the river trade that once tagged the town “Little St. Louis of the Trinity”. Named for a large Magnolia tree on the bank of the river, Magnolia was founded by settlers who moved there from Ft. Houston, located near Palestine, in Anderson County. After the danger of Indian attacks lessened, settlers began making land claims at Magnolia. During its heyday, the little town claimed 33 residential and business blocks with streets 60 feet wide. A drugstore, law office, blacksmith, shop, tavern, cotton gin, general merchandise and hotel made up the businesses. There was a one-room schoolhouse and a Methodist church. The 800 odd citizens pointed with pride to the Hagood Hotel, reputed to be the finest between Shreveport and San Antonio. W.A. Hagood, owner of the two-story structure, advertised board and lodging for a man and two horses at $2 a night. Guests who signed the register of the hotel included General Sam Houston, Dr. H.H. Link, pioneer Palestine physician; Colonel George Wright, among the last to navigate the Trinity; Wade Allen and H.H. Dexter, land and slave owners from Alabama; and a Captain Foote, horse thief scout. Hagood is remembered as the man who owned practically all of Magnolia. He operated the river ferry, was postmaster and owned the blacksmith shop and Magnolia Tavern. It was rumored that Hagood buried his fortune of $80,000 in gold coins under his hotel before he died. Even after Magnolia became a ghost town, fortune hunters who heard the legend searched unsuccessfully for the gold. Another of Magnolia’s colorful citizens was Colonel George Wright. Wright, once mayor of Palestine, also served as “president” of the United States for 40 minutes while the President-elect (Benjamin Harrison) ate breakfast on the presidential train en route to Houston. Colonel Wright was one of the first to navigate the Trinity in a steamboat. One of his most interesting enterprises was the purchase of a steamship. The crew of the ship, the S.A. Ruthven, brought judgment against their captain for unpaid wages. A court order decreed that the ship be sold to pay off the men. It was auctioned off and bought by Wright for $900. During the spring of 1867 there were as many as six steamers docked at Magnolia. Supplies brought in on the freighters were sugar, molasses, flour and barrels of whiskey. Return trips carried cotton and cattle hides. Although the steamers offered passenger service, residents of Magnolia seldom depended on the irregular schedules. On of the fastest river trips recorded was made in post Civil War days on the 184 ton side wheeler Early Bird. With 800 bales of cotton on board, the Early Bird made the journey down 500 miles from Magnolia to Galveston in four days. The trip overland by wagon would often take as long as six weeks. One of the last steamship trips up the river was a ship carrying a load of steel for the building of the I&GN Railroad. With the operation of the railroad, river trade ceased and Magnolia began dying by degrees. By the turn of the century, there was little evidence left of the town’s romantic history. This map is the only known map in existence of the community. It was included in the collection of Mary Kate Hunter, which was originally donated to the Palestine Public Library. It was drawn on July 7, 1924 by S.C. Van Devender, who signed the map, and was his rendition of how the town was laid out as of 1860. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11920/
[Company A, 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate States Army]
This group does not contain the entire membership of the Company, which is much regretted, but only those whose pictures could be obtained thirty years after the war. The Company was raised by Captain Peter Hardeman about the middle of April, 1861, in the Counties of Houston, Anderson, Cherokee and Nacogdoches, calling for twenty-five men from each of the Counties, and marched immediately to San Antonio, where the regiment was organized and mustered into the State service on May 17th, 1861. In a few days after this, this Company, with a part of the regiment, started on the expedition to Arizona and New Mexico, and returned to San Antonio in the summer of 1862, when the regiment, being again brought together, was reorganized and served until the close of the war in Texas and Louisiana and was disbanded in June 1865. This company being among the first troops called for, was composed mainly of boys and young men, with a few middle-aged men, several of the boys being only fifteen years old. All were good, true, noble and loyal soldiers from the rise to the fall of the Confederacy - J. C. J. King - Captain, Co. A., 2nd Texas Cavalry, Confederate Veterans texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11921/
[Daughters of the Confederacy]
This picture was made at a state convention of the Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy at Corsicana Texas, 1900. The flag in the process of being folded is of unknown origin. It was returned from New Orleans with the effects of Col. William Lull and was supposed, from its single star, to have belonged to Texas. It's description: Gray field, red star, gray and blue stripes, heavy red fringe entirely surrounding it. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11922/
[Photograph album belonging to the Cossette family]
Family album containing photographs of children, adults, and animals. Selected photos have captions in French or English. Photos of soldiers at Camp Fannin in Tyler, Texas are included. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11914/
[Trainyards at Palestine, Texas]
Trains parked in the yard at the Palestine Texas rail yard. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11274/
[The Anderson County Jail]
This is a photograph of the second Anderson County Jail. The jail was built on the southwest corner of the courthouse square in 1879-80. It was, at the time, the most architecturally advanced building on the square of Palestine. Its clock tower, rising one floor beyond the two-story sheriff’s office and jail, could be seen all the way to New Town, the part of town near the railroad depot. The jail was used until 1931, when it was considered inadequate for county needs. It was torn down and a more modern structure built, the three-story white brick building that now stands on the site. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11275/
[Engraving of Stephen F. Austin]
Engraved picture of Stephen F. Austin. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11276/
[Post Office at Salmon, Texas]
Photograph of the post office in the community of Salmon, TX. The people in the picture are as follows: (front row) 1. Unknown; 2. Unknown; 3. M.D. Salmon; 4. Meredith D. Salmon; 5. Nancy Angeline Elizabeth (Laymance) Salmon; 6. Unknown; 7. Unknown; 8. Sylvania Maybelle Salmon; 9. Velva Clifton Salmon; 10. Claurd Ernest Salmon; 11. Green Columbus Salmon. Green Columbus Salmon was the son of M.D. and Nancy Angeline Elizabeth (Laymance) Salmon and the father of C. Eldridge Salmon. This photo was part of the collection of framed photos and documents donated to the Palestine Public Library by the family of C. Eldridge Salmon. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11277/
[Palestine Texas]
This is a photo of Front Street (now known as Spring Street) which runs along the railroad tracks in Palestine, Texas. It was taken about 1880. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11278/
[William S. Blackshear]
Photo of William S. Blackshear taken in Los Angeles in Feb 1937. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10987/
[Unidentified Man]
Photo of unidentified man, probably William S. Blackshear taken in 1945. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10988/
[Unknown Clock Tower]
Photo of an unknown tower with a clock in it. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10989/
[Unidentified Man]
Photo of unidentified man, probably William S. Blackshear, taken in 1945. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10990/
[Blurry Photo of a Dog]
Blurry photograph of a dog. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10991/
[Photo of an unidentified house]
Photograph of an unidentified house. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10992/
[Man Identified only as "Major" from Los Angeles]
Man only identified as "Major" taken in Los Angeles in the Summer of 1938. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10993/
[The Librarian - Mrs. Aylworth]
Photo of a woman identified on as The Librarian - Mrs. A. She is thought to have been Mrs. Aylworth, but this has not been verified. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10994/
[William S. Blackshear]
Photo of William S. Blackshear taken Feb 1937 in Los Angeles. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10995/
[Mrs. Aylworth - The Librarian]
Photo of a woman identified as possibly being Mrs. Aylworth in a library. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10996/
[William Blackshear and a Cat]
Photo of William Blackshear and the Black Cat of the House. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10997/
[Unidentified Woman]
Photo of an unidentified woman. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10998/
[Sally Blackshear]
School Picture of Sally Blackshear - Age 9 - 1964 - Fourth Grade. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth10999/
[Amanda Blackshear]
School Photo of Amanda Blackshear taken Dec 1962 - 1st. Grade - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11000/
[Unidentified Couple]
Photo of an unidentified couple standing near a doorway. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11001/
[Robert "Bob" Blackshear]
Photograph of a young man (Robert "Bob" Blackshear) sitting in a chair and looking out a window. A picture is hanging on the wall behind him. (back of photo) "Bob in our apt at St. Martins and Brooklyn, N.Y." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11002/
[Robert "Bob" Blackshear]
Photograph of a young man (Robert "Bob" Blackshear), taken in Brooklyn, N.Y. He is seated near a window; a picture is hanging on the wall behind him. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11003/
[Unidentified Woman standing in front of a house]
Photo of an unidentified woman standing in front of a house. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11004/
[Charles W. Blackshear]
Charles W. Blackshear - Freeport Beach - Age 21 - on visit to William S. Blackshear - April 1934 - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11005/
[Two Unidentified Men Sitting on a Wall with Bob Blackshear]
Photo of two unidentified men sitting on a wall with R.K. (Bob) Blackshear on far right. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11006/
[Robert "Bob" Blackshear]
Photograph of Robert Blackshear, taken in Brooklyn, N.Y. He is seated near a window; a picture is hanging on the wall behind him. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11007/
[Robert K. Blackshear and Unidentified person with Dog]
Photo of rear of Robert K. Blackshear with an unidentified person with a dog. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11008/
[Unidentified Woman Standing in Front of a House]
Photo of an unidentified woman standing in front of a house. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11009/
[Tintype Photo of Two Unidentified Pre-Civil War Era Men Holding Pistols]
Tintype photo of two unidentified pre-Civil War era men holding pistols. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11010/
[Man named Tom Sitting on Porch Steps with a Dog]
Man named Tom sitting on the porch with a dog. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. It is thought that this was the porch of a building located at Brookwood. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11011/
[William Blackshear]
Photograph of William Blackshear standing on a porch. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11012/
[Unidentified Woman Sitting on a Wall]
Photo of an unidentified woman sitting on a wall. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11013/
[Photo of an Unidentified Building]
Photo of an Unidentified Bldg. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11014/
[Photo of an Unidentified House]
Photo of an unidentified house. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11015/
[Peg and Buddy McLaughlin - Long Island Sound]
Photograph of two people posing together on a beach. (back of photo) "Peg and Buddy - Long Island Sound - Aug 24, 1935." texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11016/
[Peg and Buddy McLaughlin - Jones Beach]
(back of photo) Peg and Buddy - Taken at Jones Beach - Both felt very silly when this was taken. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11017/
[Mr. Hughes of Palestine and William Blackshear]
Mr. Hughes of Palestine and William Blackshear at the Fraternity House in Austin Texas - Winter 1917 - Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11018/
[Robert K. Blackshear]
Photo of Robert K. Blackshear. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11019/
[Mission San Jose]
Photo of Mission San Jose. Photo is from the William Blackshear collection, which was donated to the Palestine Public Library. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth11020/
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST