You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1980-1989
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2006
[800 Block N. Fowler]

[800 Block N. Fowler]

Date: February 1989
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This photo was taken fro the intersection of E. Kolstad and Fowler streets in the northern section of Palestine. The camera is looking north up Fowler street. The address of the houses shown are (from left to right) 115 E. Kolstad, 805 N. Fowler and 807 N. Fowler.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[100 E. Brazos - Lamar School]

[100 E. Brazos - Lamar School]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Lamar School was originally constructed by the Palestine School District in 1922 as an elementary school to educate the children of south side neighborhoods. With the advent of the new Southside Elementary, the school was closed. It now houses the Anderson County Champions for Children and the WIC offices.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[101 E. Oak - Federal Building]

[101 E. Oak - Federal Building]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Photograph of the front (south) and west side of the "Federal Building," located at 101 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Renaissance Revival-style details. This view shows the building from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

[412 S. Royall - Royall House]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[421 S. Magnolia - Alexander White Gregg House]

[421 S. Magnolia - Alexander White Gregg House]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Newton Barnes built a one-story cottage on this property in 1874 and George W. and Adelina Angle enlarged the home in 1883. The second floor was added in 1892 by Congressman Alexander White Gregg and his wife, Mary and it was the primary residence of the Greggs during the height of his polotical career. Honored National Statesman from Palestine, Congressman A.W. Gregg (1855-1919) was a member of a distinguished southern family. He graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, practiced law in Palestine for a time, and was in the State Senate, 1886-1888. He served as the U.S. Congressman from the Seventh Congressional District from 1903-1919, and was instrumental in securing Galveston from further hurricane devastation by sponsoring legislation to build the Galveston Seawall in 1908. Congressman Gregg was married twice; first to Mary Bridges and secondly to Mary Brooks; and fathered four children. He died in 1919 and his funeral was held in this home. Mrs. Gregg remained living in this house until 1924, when she sold it to John H. Silliman who turned it into apartments. Nancy Foy Archer purchased the house in 2001 and she stadilized the building, painted the exterior and installed a new ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church]

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[519 S. Royall]

[519 S. Royall]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Gooch, Gardner, Kolstad House," a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 S. May - Dilley Foundry Furnace Building]

[601 S. May - Dilley Foundry Furnace Building]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: Photograph of the south and east sides of the Dilley Foundry Furnace Building located on the 600 block of S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building that housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry; it is surrounded by trees and is overgrown with vegetation.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 S. Sycamore - Maier House]

[601 S. Sycamore - Maier House]

Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: The residential neighborhood south of the city’s historic downtown contains many late 19th and early 20th century houses; however, a substantial number of 1920s dwellings were built as infill. Most of the residences of this later period are relatively small frame bungalows. This house deviates from the pattern because of its scale, materials, and design. The 2-story house with brick veneer is also one of the city’s few examples of the Spanish colonial Revival style. Few alterations detract from its historic character, and the building retains much of its integrity. German immigrant Solomon Maier and his Texas-born wife Lucy had this house built in the mid-1920s. Mr. Maier came to Palestine in 1882; his various endeavors included operating a wholesale tobacco company, a saloon, and working at a bank. He was vice-president, and later the second president of the Palestine Salt & Coal Company, which mined half a million tons of salt and 25,000 tons of lignite west of Palestine during the first half of this century. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Maier continued to live in the house through the 1940s. Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Hamilton were later owners of the house. Mr. Hamilton was a son of the ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST