Date: February 1993
Creator: Emrich, Ron
Description: This one-story frame residence is one of Palestine’s premier examples of an L-plan house. Like so many other L-plan houses, this property has Queen Ann-style architectural embellishments, but few other examples have such a high degree of craftsmanship and intricate woodwork. Particularly noteworthy elements include the bay window on the front and the bargeboard in the gable end. Rear additions detract somewhat from the property’s overall historic character, but their relative obscurity from the street minimizes their impact on the structure’s integrity. According to the current owner, this house was built in 1893. The earliest known owners were A.S. Grant, who lived here about 1905, and J.P. and Daisy Branch, who resided here around 1910. Mrs. Lucille K. Noblin owned the house from about 1915-1935, though it is believed she used it as a rental property. She was followed by Mrs. M.K. Helm, who owned the house from the late 1930s until about 1944. Arcala N. Herrington owned the house from 1944 through the 1970s.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library