You limited your search to:

 Decade: 1980-1989
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2006
[100 E. Brazos - Lamar School]
Lamar School was originally constructed by the Palestine School District in 1922 as an elementary school to educate the children of south side neighborhoods. With the advent of the new Southside Elementary, the school was closed. It now houses the Anderson County Champions for Children and the WIC offices. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9411/
[101 E. Oak - Federal Building]
Photograph of the front (south) and west side of the "Federal Building," located at 101 E. Oak in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Renaissance Revival-style details. This view shows the building from the corner of Oak and Sycamore streets. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9396/
[410 Avenue A - First Presbyterian Church]
Photograph of the front and east side of the First Presbyterian Church, located at 410 Avenue A in Palestine, Texas. It is a red-brick building with white stone accents that has a Gothic architecture design including leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. There is a tall silver spire above the tower on the corner of the building. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9402/
[412 S. Royall - Royall House]
Photograph of the front and south side of a two-story house, located at 416 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has a long, wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and brick around the lower level of the house. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9416/
[421 S. Magnolia - Alexander White Gregg House]
Newton Barnes built a one-story cottage on this property in 1874 and George W. and Adelina Angle enlarged the home in 1883. The second floor was added in 1892 by Congressman Alexander White Gregg and his wife, Mary and it was the primary residence of the Greggs during the height of his polotical career. Honored National Statesman from Palestine, Congressman A.W. Gregg (1855-1919) was a member of a distinguished southern family. He graduated from the University of Virginia School of Law, practiced law in Palestine for a time, and was in the State Senate, 1886-1888. He served as the U.S. Congressman from the Seventh Congressional District from 1903-1919, and was instrumental in securing Galveston from further hurricane devastation by sponsoring legislation to build the Galveston Seawall in 1908. Congressman Gregg was married twice; first to Mary Bridges and secondly to Mary Brooks; and fathered four children. He died in 1919 and his funeral was held in this home. Mrs. Gregg remained living in this house until 1924, when she sold it to John H. Silliman who turned it into apartments. Nancy Foy Archer purchased the house in 2001 and she stadilized the building, painted the exterior and installed a new roof. She sold the house in 2003 and the new owners continue the restoration of the home. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9407/
[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church]
The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9414/
[519 S. Royall]
Photograph of the front of the "Gooch, Gardner, Kolstad House," a white, two-story, brick house located at 519 S. Royall in Palestine, Texas. It has Victorian Italianate architectural embellishments, including the segmental-arched hoodmolds, bracketed eaves, and main entrance with its round-arched portal and hoodmold. Additionally, there are Queen Anne-style aspects, such as the fish-scaled, patterned shingles in the front-facing gable and the complex roof plan. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9409/
[601 S. May - Dilley Foundry Furnace Building]
Photograph of the south and east sides of the Dilley Foundry Furnace Building located on the 600 block of S. May in Palestine, Texas. It is a one-story brick building that housed furnaces for the Dilley foundry; it is surrounded by trees and is overgrown with vegetation. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9410/
[601 S. Sycamore - Maier House]
The residential neighborhood south of the city’s historic downtown contains many late 19th and early 20th century houses; however, a substantial number of 1920s dwellings were built as infill. Most of the residences of this later period are relatively small frame bungalows. This house deviates from the pattern because of its scale, materials, and design. The 2-story house with brick veneer is also one of the city’s few examples of the Spanish colonial Revival style. Few alterations detract from its historic character, and the building retains much of its integrity. German immigrant Solomon Maier and his Texas-born wife Lucy had this house built in the mid-1920s. Mr. Maier came to Palestine in 1882; his various endeavors included operating a wholesale tobacco company, a saloon, and working at a bank. He was vice-president, and later the second president of the Palestine Salt & Coal Company, which mined half a million tons of salt and 25,000 tons of lignite west of Palestine during the first half of this century. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Maier continued to live in the house through the 1940s. Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Hamilton were later owners of the house. Mr. Hamilton was a son of the founder of the Palestine Herald-Press, while Mrs. Hamilton was the daughter of Martin A. Davey, the prominent oilman who donated the land for the Palestine Dogwood trails. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9419/
[619 S. Sycamore - A.R. Howard House]
The dominant architectural form in the neighborhood in which this 2-story house stands is Queen Anne style; however, this building is a somewhat rare example of Victorian Italianate style. A handful of similarly detailed houses are also in this neighborhood. All are among the oldest buildings in this part of town. This house is noteworthy because of its load-bearing masonry (brick) construction and its segmental-arched openings, bracketed eaves, and low-pitched roof. Local brick manufacturer/contractor Daniel N. Darling built this house in the mid-1880s; it is said to be one of two remaining Victorian-era brick homes in the city. Pennsylvania-born A.R. Howard (b. 1852) and his wife Katie Black Howard purchased this property in 1880 and enlarged the house in 1899. Mr. Howard was employed by the I&GN Railroad for over fifty years, working in a succession of jobs that culminated in his being named Secretary-Treasurer and First Vice-President in 1890. He was active in local Masonic activities, serving as grand commander of the Knights Templar of Texas during 1900-01. His wife, an Arkansas native, oversaw the formation of the local D.A.R. chapter in this house in March 1906. The 1899 changes included the addition of a 2-story verandah on the south; this was enclosed by glass in 1985. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9405/
[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]
Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9417/
[800 Block N. Fowler]
This photo was taken fro the intersection of E. Kolstad and Fowler streets in the northern section of Palestine. The camera is looking north up Fowler street. The address of the houses shown are (from left to right) 115 E. Kolstad, 805 N. Fowler and 807 N. Fowler. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9441/
Concordia University student body
Photo of Concordia University student body gathered in front of building. Austin, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20118/
[Jackson Hanks]
Jackson Hanks served as Mayor of Palestine from 1989 until 1995. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9817/
Ric Britton
Photograph of a man. This is a photograph of Ric Britton, a Mason in Van Horn, TX texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14371/
[Danny Allison]
Danny Allison served as Mayor of Palestine from 1988 until 1989. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9833/
[Clark Hotel Museum]
Photograph of a building. Photograph of the Historic Clark Hotel as the Culberson County Historical Museum. Photograph of the Clark Hotel Museum. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth13956/
Ray Shotwell and Dr.Schaffer with 1987 Sesquicentennial Time Capsule
Photograph of two men with time capsule. Photograph of Ray Shotwell and Dr. Schaffer laying time capsule in ground in Van Horn, TX, during the Sesquicentennial 1987, capsule to be opened 2036. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14070/
Seven Van Horn leaders at Sesquicentennial Capsule Ceremony
Photograph of seven adults. Photograph of Van Horn, TX citizens at Sesquicentennial Capsule Burial at Courthouse lawn, January 1987. Back row: Lewis Rogers, School Superintendent, Judge John Conoly, Hospital Administrator Ed Norris. Front row: Mayor Okey Lucas, Comm. Ch. Noble Smith, Capsule Ch. Ray Shotwell, Comm.Co-Ch. Edward Billingsley, President, V.H. Bank texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14069/
[Sesquicentennial Musical]
Sesquicentennial Musical: Cast of Denim and Calico. Photo taken in 1986: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16893/
[Thens and Now Style Show, Texas Sesquicentennial]
Thens and Now Style Show, Texas Sesquicentennial. A young lady wearing 1950's dress. Picture dated 1986: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16847/
[Clay County Jail-front]
Clay County Jail, front view. Photo taken in 1985: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17033/
[Clay County Jail-side and back view]
Clay County Jail side and back view. Photo taken in 1985: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17032/
[DPS Officers Bill Nobles and Frank Woodall]
DPS: Bill Nobles on left, Frank Woodall on the right. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16896/
Garden Club Officials, 1985
Photograph of five women. Photograph of Garden Club officials of Van Horn, TX. 1985. Louisa Rutledge, Joyce Ewald, Esther Clinton, Ruth Binkley, and Noble Smith. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14065/
[Hangman's Noose]
Hangman's noose. Photo taken in 1985: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17067/
[Hangman's Noose]
Hangman's Noose. Photo taken in 1985: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16917/
Curtis Rutledge
Photograph of a man in a hat and glasses. Photograph of Curtis Rutledge, a Mason in Van Horn, TX. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14334/
[Henrietta HS 50th Anniversary Class]
Henrietta HS 50th Anniversary Class. Photo taken in 1984: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16630/
[United Methodist Church in Henrietta]
United Methodist Church in Henrietta, built in 1916. Photo taken in 1984: Henrietta, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth17087/
Wendell Long
Photograph of a man in a straw hat. Photograph of Wendell Long, a Mason in Van Horn, TX. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14350/
Ray Shotwell
photograph of a man with glasses. Photograph of Ray Shotwell, a Mason in Van Horn, TX. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14333/
[Jack Conboy]
Jack Conboy served as Mayor of Palestine from 1981 until 1983. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth9830/
Woltman Activities Center under construction
Woltman Activities Center under construction. Austin, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20085/
Woltman Activities Center under construction
Woltman Activities Center under construction. Austin, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20083/
Woltman Activities Center under construction
Woltman Activities Center under construction. Austin, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20082/
Woltman Activities Center under construction
Woltman Activities Center under construction. Austin, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth20084/
Class of 1960 20 Year Reunion
Photograph of alumni. Photograph of the Class of 1960 Twentieth Reunion in 1980, Van Horn, TX. Front row- Kathyrn Beasley (Foley), Barbara Vick (Munn), Linda Stapleton (Mitchell), Minnie ? (Henderson), Mary Carolyn Hurd (Carpenter), Back row- Robert Beasley, Johnny Taylor, Russell Long, Charles Guest, Charlie Bob Lomax texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14278/
James Lovelady and Nora Bell Munn in front of Clark Hotel Museum
Photograph of man and woman standing in front of museum. Photograph of James Lovelady and Nora Bell Munn of Van Horn,TX standing in front of the Clark Hotel Museum, 1980 texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth13904/
Larry Miller
Photograph of a man with a mustache. Photograph of Larry Miller, a Mason in Van Horn, TX texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth14349/
[Young's Greenhouse]
Young's Greenhouse. Photo taken in 1980. Charlie, Texas. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16754/
Henrietta Street Scene
The corner of Bridge and Gilbert Street outside the Local Food Market in Henrietta, TX about 1983. texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth16410/