You limited your search to:

 County: Anderson County, TX
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2006
[Dr. Carolyn Salter]

[Dr. Carolyn Salter]

Date: 2005
Creator: unknown
Description: Carolyn Salter was elected in 2005 as the first female Mayor of Palestine. Photograph of a woman in a suit in front of a governmental seal and an American Flag.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[George Foss]

[George Foss]

Date: 2001
Creator: unknown
Description: George Foss served as Mayor of Palestine from 2001 until 2005.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[100 Block W. Kolstad]

[100 Block W. Kolstad]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photo of the 100 block of W. Kolstad. Houses from the left to right are 119, 117, and 115 W. Kolstad.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

[100 S. Sycamore - Pearlstone Grocery Company]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This building is one of the relatively few historic warehouses to survive in Palestine. The building is indicative of how little stylistic ornamentation was applied to buildings that were used for utilitarian purposes. The building does have paired, double-hung windows set within segmented arches and vertical brick piers that define the bays. The Davidson-Pearlstone Grocery Company was in operation at this site for several years following its formation in 1899. In 1904 local businessman Hyman Pearlstone bought the controlling interest and renamed the company. According to local historians, J.T. Sweetman bought an interest in the firm in 1905. The Pearlstone Grocery Company opened in this building in January 1913.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

[107 E. Kolstad - Gaught House]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This house is an anomaly among historic residences in Palestine and defies classification. Local contractor John H. Gaught built this house in the early 1910’s, to plans by prominent architect James F. Brook. Gaught was responsible for the construction of some of Palestine’s most notable buildings, including the Redlands Hotel and the Centenary Methodist Church. According to deed records, Gaught sold the house to John R. Hearne, Jr., in January 1914. Hearne was a salesman at the Palestine Hardware Company who lived here with his wife, Clara Welborn, until 1945, when W.T. Lively acquired the building. Lively continued to occupy the house through 1971, and was responsible for the building’s rear addition. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[111 Angelina - Pentecom LLC]

[111 Angelina - Pentecom LLC]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Moore, David
Description: Located at the northwest corner of Angelina and Royall streets, it was at one time the Medical Center Pharmacy. As of August 2006, the building houses the offices of Pentecom LLC.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[200 Block S. Magnolia]

[200 Block S. Magnolia]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This photo was taken from the west side of S. Magnolia Street, just south of the railroad tracks, with the camera facing north. The houses are (from right to left) 216 S. Magnolia, 212 S. Magnolia, 208 S. Magnolia (Verda's Flower Shop) and 204 S. Magnolia.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

[201 W. Crawford - Denby Bldg]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front and side of the "Denby Building," located at 201 W. Crawford in downtown Palestine, Texas. It is a three-story brick building, classified as a "Two-Part Commercial Block," that has grouped pivoting windows on the upper floors, and side-facing brickwork in the parapet.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

[209-211 W. Kolstad - Grace Methodist Church]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: This property is one of thirteen historic churches in Palestine. The building occupies a prominent corner lot, making the church a prominent landmark in the residential neighborhood north of the city’s central business district. The church displays Classical Revival features, and the most notable architectural element is the elliptical archway in the brickwork façade. This church, alternately called Grace Methodist Church and Grace Methodist Episcopal Church in early city directories, was built on this site in 1916 by contractor Will Pheifer. There has been a practicing Methodist congregation in Palestine since 1850; the earliest members met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building since converted into a private dwelling located at 812 N. Mallard. During the mid-1910’s the congregation split, with some members forming this church and others forming the First United Methodist Church, located on S. Magnolia. Sometime before 2006, it changed hands and is now the One Way Apostolic Faith Holy Temple Headquarters.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

[213 W. Main - Robinson State Bank Building]

Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: Photograph of the front of the "Robinson State Bank Building" located at 213 W. Main in Palestine, Texas. The building is made of red brick with Romanesque Revival detailing and is classified as a One-Part Commercial Block. It has a rectangular plan with load-bearing masonry construction, a 3-bay façade that displays elaborate brickwork, a large round archway marking the primary entrance, and a stepped, 3-part parapet with corbelling. A neon sign near the entrance says "Rushing Jewelers, Home of Lucky Forever Diamond Rings."
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST