Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: This opulent Queen Anne-style house is one of Palestine’s premier historic dwellings. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. The house is a textbook example of the Queen Anne style. A large addition has been built onto the rear, but the owners have been careful to reproduce the kinds of detailing and materials seen on the historic portion of the house. Cotton broker Samuel Lucas, a New Orleans native, and his wife, Esther Goldberg Lucas, purchased this lot in December 1892, and began building this house soon afterwards. Architect John S. Moad designed the dwelling; Moad was responsible for a number of notable Texas buildings, including Palestine’s First Christian Church and the now-demolished Railroad Y.M.C.A. Galveston-native Martin A. Davey purchased the property in September 1927. Davey’s knowledge of the geology of Anderson County led him to the discovery of several oil fields in the region, including the lucrative Boggy Creek field; he is generally regarded as the “father of the East Texas oil business.” In 1936 Palestine voted Davey its “number-one citizen.” Davey donated approximately 300 acres to Anderson County in the late 1930s, which later became Davey Dogwood Park. Mr. and ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library