Date: February 1993
Creator: Goebel, Matt
Description: When originally built, this house was one of three imposing Queen Anne-style residences on the north side of Hodges Street. Although the others have been left unaltered, this dwelling was changed substantially in the early 20th century when the pedimented portico was added to the front. This alteration changed the character of the property by imposing order and balance to an otherwise asymmetrical composition. In this regard, the property is similar to the Henry and Hypatia Link House at 1003 N. Link. This property was the site of the house of Judge James Perry, a lawyer and one of the area’s earliest settlers, who built his log cabin here around 1845. Prominent local businessman Adolphus Benson Hodges (1858-1913) built the extant house, known as “Elmwood”, in 1910-11; it was completed shortly before his death. The building was designed by James F. Brook. Along with his brother, Daniel, Hodges operated a chain of mercantile stores throughout Texas. In addition to their Palestine store, which was located in the still-extant building at the northwest corner of W. Oak and N. Magnolia, they had stores in Marlin, Cuero, Orange and Port Arthur. Hodges’ wife, Mollie Scarbrough Hodges, continued to live in the house ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library