Date: December 1989
Creator: Hardy, Daniel
Description: The First Presbyterian Church of Palestine was organized November 3, 1849 by Reverend Daniel Baker and Reverend J.N. Becton, home missionaries of The Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. There were 18 charter members and the first minister was Reverend A.M. Becton. For the first few years, the Presbyterian Church shared a place of worship with other groups, but a steady growth in membership made it necessary to build its own church. Consequently, a small brick church was erected on North Church Street. On March 7, 1887, the church bought a lot on Avenue A, and the cornerstone for this sanctuary was laid on July 12, 1888. The architects for the project were Dudley and Dudley, the contractor was G.T. Scott, and the builder was Joseph Frederick Wolff. Mr. Wolff also made the bricks from clay excavated from a pit that later became Spring Park Lake. The sanctuary is of Gothic design, and contains beautiful leaded stained glass and Tiffany memorial windows. The ceiling was hand painted by an itinerant German craftsman, and has not been retouched since it was originally done by the artist. The lovely silver spire was added in 1890 by G.T. Scott, contractor, and C.S. Maffitt, builder. On November ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library