Date: June 1991
Creator: Hardy, Heck, Moore
Description: Photograph of 116 E. Pine taken from the road. Photo was taken for the Historic Resources Survey of Palestine, Texas 1989-1991. The residential neighborhood north of the city’s central business district developed principally during the late 19th and 20th centuries; however, this area also contains many houses erected during the 1910s and 1920s. This property, which is indicative of the latter, is a well-preserved example of a Craftsman bungalow, the most common type of pre- World War II dwelling in Palestine. Although many other illustrations survive (the histories resources survey identified over 800 such buildings), this property is significant because it exhibits fine workmanship and because it remains in a virtually unaltered state. According to the Palestine city directories, John Orin Cutter and his wife Johnnie had this house built around 1915. John Cutter passed away in the 1960's and his wife lived here until approximately 1980. Mr. Cutter was a secretary and treasurer, and later a manager, for the Bratton Drug Company, located downtown at 101-03 W. Oak.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library