You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1950-1959
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

[400 N. Queen - Redlands Hotel]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the south and west sides of the Redlands Hotel, on the corner of Oak and Queen streets, at 400 N. Queen in Palestine, Texas. It is a Two-Part Vertical Block building that has a U-shaped plan and load-bearing masonry walls, with Renaissance Revival-style architectural elements. Noteworthy features include the quoin-like brick in the end bays of the west and south elevations, and the entablature with large brackets.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

[407 E. Kolstad - Mallard Alexander House]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a light-colored house surrounded by a lawn and trees. One of the oldest homes in Palestine, this house was built using slave labor in 1848 by Judge John B. Mallard. Surrounded by stately oak and cedar trees, it continues to be on its original foundation of one and one-half foot cedar logs and has been repaired and remodeled by later owners. Marked by the State of Texas n 1952, it has been the home of the Forrest Bradberrys since 1957. Judge Mallard and his wife, the former Susan S. Scott, came to Texas from Mississippi in 1845 and settled at Old Fort Houston. In February 1846, he moved to Palestine, the new county seat of Anderson County which had been organized that same year, and purchased ten acres, known as the Mallard Block. This acreage was located just north of the then city limits which is now in Old Town Palestine. The Mallards had seven children including Mrs. Bettie Oder, a beloved teacher in Palestine for forty-six years. Mrs. Oder was born at this home in 1849 and died in Houston in 1940. Also born here was Mrs. Barbara Alexander Eppner. The first census of early Palestine was ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Date: c. 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: This 2-story dwelling is an excellent illustration of the Georgian Revival style, an early 20th century architectural form rarely found in Palestine. This house is further distinguished by its load-bearing walls, which are a contrast to the prevailing wood-frame construction used on most domestic buildings in Palestine. Noted architect and New Jersey-native James Frith Brook (who was responsible for numerous Palestine buildings, including the Redlands Hotel), designed this house for Dr. J. Calvin Silliman in 1911. C.S. Maffitt was the contractor, but some also believe that he was the architect, instead of Mr. Brook. The story goes that the foundation for the house was installed and had to stand for several months before construction on the dwelling could begin. The outside brick walls were constructed first and then the inside studs and walls were built. The carriage house, located in back, dates back to the first owners of the lot, a Dr. Swinney, whose home was moved to allow for the building of this home. Silliman sold the house to his cousin, John H. Silliman in 1915, when he moved his family to California. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business ...
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Date: 1950~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front and south side of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front. The foreground of this image is blurred, obscuring part of the house.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
1910 Auto with Capitol Building

1910 Auto with Capitol Building

Date: May 4, 1959
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Description: Old fashioned couple stands next to 1910 automobile with the State Capitol in the background
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
1950 Childress District Office, Texas Highway Dept - 1st picnic

1950 Childress District Office, Texas Highway Dept - 1st picnic

Date: 1950
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of a a Texas Highway Department picnic. A large gathering is shown with a man opening a bottled beverage while a young girl walks to the right , holding a drink.
Contributing Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum
1st Southern Presbyterian Church

1st Southern Presbyterian Church

Date: April 4, 1956
Creator: Douglass, Neal
Description: Exterior of Church, Brazos and 8th St. looking north.
Contributing Partner: Austin History Center, Austin Public Library
[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #1]

[36th Texas Division - T - Patch guard #1]

Date: c.1950 - 1959
Creator: Blewitt, William
Description: Group of four unidentified Army soldiers demonstrating a mortar.
Contributing Partner: Bosque County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST