You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1980-1989
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[418 N. Tennessee - St. Mary's Academy]

[418 N. Tennessee - St. Mary's Academy]

Date: 1980~
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of the front entrance of St. Mary's Academy, located on the 500 Block of N. Tennessee Avenue in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Gothic Revival-style features. There is a partially-visible stone tower above the entrance, as well as a stone arch over the door. Part of another wing is visible on the left side of the image.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Albert "Cowboy" Adams]

[Albert "Cowboy" Adams]

Date: March 1986
Creator: Toal, Margaret
Description: Photograph of the Texas Sesquicentennial parade on Fifth Street in downtown Orange, Texas in 1986. Albert "Cowboy" Adams is riding a brown horse and waving. Automobiles are parked behind him. In the background is the Lutcher Theatre (Left) and the Stark House (Right).
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

[Anderson Campground - Brushy Creek Arbor]

Date: c. 1980
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of the Anderson County Campground. There is a Texas Historical Commission Marker at the site, which was dedicated on September 6, 1981. That same day a National Register of Historic Places designation was also given to the site. Commonly called the Brushy Creek Arbor, Anderson Campground has a long and well known history. During the 1850's, the nearby area was settled with families, most of whom had come from a place called Brushy Creek, which was in Anderson County, South Carolina. By the 1870's a religious campground was constructed, with water provided from a nearby Artesian spring. Families came and stayed for days, bringing their own food, bedding, and supplies. Sermons were preached several times a day. Religious camp meetings were popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's, although there are few visible signs remaining. This arbor is one of the few that has survived intact for over 130 years. Both the church associated with it, Brushy Creek United Methodist, and the arbor itself have changed very little. The total area covers 5.6 acres. Although the last camp meetings were held in the 1930's, the arbor continued to be used for weeklong summer revivals into ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Anderson County Courthouse]

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1980~
Creator: unknown
Description: The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Anderson County Courthouse]

[Anderson County Courthouse]

Date: 1980~
Creator: unknown
Description: The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Attakapan Arrow Heads]

[Attakapan Arrow Heads]

Date: c. 1980
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of six small Atakapan Indian arrow heads in a man's hand. These small arrow heads were used for fish and birds.
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
[Autumn Leaves on a Dogwood Tree in Anderson County]

[Autumn Leaves on a Dogwood Tree in Anderson County]

Date: November 1983
Creator: unknown
Description: An Anderson County dogwood tree during the fall in Davey Dogwood Park near Palestine, Texas. The tree's leaves have all turned red. Other trees are visible in the background.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Building a Library]

[Building a Library]

Date: 1985
Creator: unknown
Description: Conversion of the Alamo School into the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Building a Library]

[Building a Library]

Date: 1985
Creator: unknown
Description: Conversion of the Alamo School into the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Building a Library]

[Building a Library]

Date: 1985
Creator: unknown
Description: Conversion of the Alamo School into the Palestine Public Library.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST