You limited your search to:

 Resource Type: Photograph
 Decade: 1920-1929
 Collection: Rescuing Texas History, 2007
[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

[422 S. Magnolia - First United Methodist Church - Palestine]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: The Centenary Methodist Church is one of 13 historic religious buildings identified in the survey. With its pointed, arched openings and corner towers, this institutional building is one of the city’s best examples of the Gothic Revival style, especially as interpreted on ecclesiastical buildings. The construction of massive additions on the north side have somewhat compromised the historic character but the building retains sufficient integrity to be recognizable to its period of significance. There has been an active Methodist presence in Palestine since about 1850. At that time the only local congregation met in Bascom’s Chapel, an extant building located at 812 N. Mallard, which has since been converted into a private residence. During the early 20th century the original congregation split, with some members establishing this church, the Centenary Methodist Church, and some founding Grace United Methodist Church, located just north of downtown. Locally prominent contractor John H. Gaught constructed the sanctuary of this church in 1910-11. It was renamed the First Methodist Episcopal church by the mid-1920s, and today is known as the First United Methodist church. This photo was taken when the windows could be swiveled open to catch air during the warm months of the year.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Ad for the Palestine Fair & Agriculture Association - Palestine]

[Ad for the Palestine Fair & Agriculture Association - Palestine]

Date: c. 1926
Creator: unknown
Description: Ad for the Palestine Fair & Agriculture Association Annual Exhitition and Races. Ad's include photos of the proposed racetrack and grandstand.
Contributing Partner: Palestine Public Library
[Anchor from the Steamboat Ruthven]

[Anchor from the Steamboat Ruthven]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: This is a photo of the Anchor that was originally part of the steamboat Ruthven. The Ruthven was completed in the spring of 1860, though information concerning her home port and construction details are not clear. Before the civil war, the Ruthven seems to have been engaged in the Magnolia to Galveston trade carrying both goods and passengers. During the war she was chartered as a Confederate transport, hauling troops, military supplies, and the Confederate mails along with her usual cargos. As the war progressed and the Northern blockade of Galveston became more effective, the Trinity River trade tapered down to nearly nothing, suffering because of the inability to either ship cotton out or to receive goods on a regular basis. At the end of the war, however, this trend was reversed. Cotton and other agricultural produce once again flowed southward, and goods such as salt, flour, sugar, coffee, whiskey and clothing were brought north. At that time, shipment of cotton from Magnolia to Galveston cost from seven to ten dollars per bale. In Palestine, anyone expecting goods on a incoming steamboat would wait in town at "Steamboat Corner" until the steamboat blew its whistle as it came within a ...
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
["Los Angeles Limited" In Echo Canyon]

["Los Angeles Limited" In Echo Canyon]

Date: c. 1928
Creator: unknown
Description: Union Pacific's "Los Angeles Limited" headed by a mountain type 4-8-2 locomotive - Engine No. 7020 with Vanderbuilt tender and a consist of nine cars stands on the siding in Echo Canyon, Utah. "Pusher" locomotive in the rear.
Contributing Partner: Museum of the American Railroad
Annie Ruth Crews - 1926 graduation from 8th grade

Annie Ruth Crews - 1926 graduation from 8th grade

Date: 1926
Creator: Stanford Studio
Description: Photograph of Anne Ruth Crews. Crews is shown in a white dress holding a diploma. The photograph was taken in recognition of her 8th grade graduation.
Contributing Partner: Childress County Heritage Museum
["Argonaut" passenger trains in West Texas]

["Argonaut" passenger trains in West Texas]

Date: c. 1929
Creator: unknown
Description: Long ago in the age of steam, the Southern Pacific's "Argonaut" passenger trains, numbers 104 and 103, east and westbound, respectively, meet in the early morning hours at mile post 450 between Langtry and Pumpville in far west Texas.
Contributing Partner: Museum of the American Railroad
[Atlantic Roustabouts]

[Atlantic Roustabouts]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: Photograph of four men standing by an oil derrick with a large crank behind them. Written on the photo is, "Atlantic Roustabouts, H.B. Phillips, Foreman, Orangefield, Texas"
Contributing Partner: Heritage House Museum
[Avenue Baptist Church and Rev. A.D. Sparkman]

[Avenue Baptist Church and Rev. A.D. Sparkman]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo collage including pictures of the Avenue Baptist Church and Reverend A.D. Sparkman.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Ben Hassell with friends]

[Ben Hassell with friends]

Date: c. 1920
Creator: unknown
Description: Photo of Ben Hassell with friends standing in front of an unidentified house in Anderson County.
Contributing Partner: Anderson County Historical Commission
[Carolyn Street Scott]

[Carolyn Street Scott]

Date: 1928
Creator: unknown
Description: Carolyn Scott
Contributing Partner: Private Collection of Caroline R. Scrivner Richards
FIRST PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT LAST